11 - BULLETPROOF

KAELYN SEEMED TO LEARN NEW THINGS EVERY DAY

KAELYN SEEMED TO LEARN NEW THINGS EVERY DAY. For example, today she learned that her best friend knew how to ride a motorcycle. And hotwire one for that matter. She wanted to ask how and why, but that was hard to do when holding onto her waist and going seventy miles an hour (probably more, Kaelyn was a bad judge of speed and was also concentrating on not screaming). The fear of neither of them having helmets plagued her, but she tried to focus on the wind blowing through her hair and the fact the boy she maybe-liked was definitely in danger.

Despite the fact neither of them had been to Liz's house in years, Beth seemed to know where she was going. She stopped just before a bridge began, turning off the bike and putting the kickstand down. Before she got off, she turned to Kae and held a finger against her lips, nodding towards a clearing in the forest below.

There were audible voices, but it was hard to make out what they were saying so they stepped closer. However, as soon as she took a step, Kaelyn's heeled-boots made a sound that was much louder than she wanted it to be.

"Fuck this," she whispered before unzipping the boots and quietly taking them off, leaving them in the concrete. Beth watched with a smile, holding in a laugh. Carefully, they tread towards the sounds of the voices.

At first, Kaelyn just saw two men discussing some sort of arms deal. However, these didn't look like any regular guns, they looked like something otherworldly. Although, even in her head that sounded stupid.

"What the fuck are those?" Beth asked, but even her whisper was almost too loud so Kaelyn, out of both fear and instinct, clamped a hand over her best friend's mouth.

Kaelyn couldn't find Peter anyway and she began to wonder if she had just gotten herself into a hell of a lot of trouble for no reason, but then her eyes landed on something odd hanging against one of the bridge supports and she had to bite her tongue to keep from yelling out.

"Peter, you goddamn idiot," the redhead mumbled under her breath, trying to be as quiet as possible even though she was pretty much dangling over the side of a bridge trying to get a good look and the only thing running through her veins at the moment was fear.

Then, as if the universe really wanted to screw Kaelyn and Peter, his phone went off. Kaelyn sighed deeply as if she could sense all hell was about to break loose.

"Okay, what the hell was that?" the man who appeared to be selling the weapons asked, but the buyer seemed suspicious.

"Did you set us up?" the man asked, holding a gun towards the other man who immediately put his hands up in a surrender.

Then, Peter jumped down from his place on the bridge and announced, "Hey, hey, if you're gonna shoot at somebody, shoot at me!"

"Peter, no!" Kaelyn shouted out. Without even thinking, she leaped off the edge of the bridge, hoping to land in between Peter and the gun being pointed at him. However, a landing like that should have shattered her ankles, yet she felt fine.