16 - UNBREAKABLE

THERE WAS SOMETHING about the New Avengers Facility that felt familiar to Kaelyn

THERE WAS SOMETHING about the New Avengers Facility that felt familiar to Kaelyn. Not necessarily familiar, but part of her seemed to just belong there. She was glad they chose to train there even though Mr. Stark had yet to complete his move there. Walking into the bright facility where there were students milling about and tons of young people with bright ideas was much less daunting than if they were training somewhere like Stark Tower. Despite the warmth and familiarity, Kaelyn was scared. Well, she didn't know if scared was the right word. Maybe it was nervous. Her emotions were muddled enough already so she gave up on trying to differentiate them. She had no idea what Mr. Stark had in store for her with this "training" as he called it. Despite all these uncertainties, though, she had Beth by her side so she knew she was going to be safe no matter what. 

"What do you think this like training thing is gonna be? Are they just gonna throw shit at you? I hope they just throw shit at you. I love you, but I'm gonna film it if they do."

"This is an extremely high tech facility with lots of new technology the world has never even heard of, I highly doubt they're going to train me by, as you put it, throwing shit at me," Kaelyn scoffed.

So, as it turns out, Tony's method of training was throwing shit at Kaelyn. He put her in a room with one window and padded walls while he and Beth stood on the outside. It had the same design as a recording booth except it was a recording booth of death. 

"I like the padding, real psychiatric ward chic," Kaelyn retorted, knowing Tony could hear her. His disdainful expression made it clear he heard her comment and was not happy with it, which made her giggle. 

She watched as Tony pressed down on the microphone button, his voice ringing through the speaker in the corner of the ceiling, "You say that but wait until one of these blasts throws you against the wall. Then you'll be thankful."

Although he was probably right, she just shrugged, "Whatever let's just get this shit going before I lose this energy because I had about three Redbulls today and I am very close to crashing."

"This is why I don't work with teenagers," Tony sighed into the microphone. Kaelyn made eye contact with a giggling Beth who was sitting in a comfy chair in front of the window. Since she was so tiny she was completely curled into the chair and Kaelyn, who was bracing herself for whatever Tony was going to throw her way, was jealous of how comfortable she looked. "We're going to start off slow. At first, we're just going to track how you absorb impact, okay? We've got a camera that will track every movement so we can see how different areas are affected by different things. This might hurt, but considering Peter told me you stopped a bullet with your hand, I'm not too sure you'll feel anything. Don't flinch, just let it hit you so we get the most accurate readings, got all that?"

"You're gonna throw shit and I can't flinch, got it!" she repeated back the basic idea, giving Tony a thumbs up. Laughing, she watched as Beth blew her a kiss and then gave her a thumbs up. She didn't know how she would get through something as insane as training her superpowers at the New Avengers Facility without Beth by her side. The girl had been thrown into another universe in a matter of days where her world changed, but with Beth by her side, it still seemed like the same world the two had always known. It was their world, always.