CHAPTER 2

[MAKE SURE YOU'RE LISTENING TO THE TRACK AS YOU READ!]

***

The hasty atmosphere settled around me as I pushed past a group of drunk teenagers, probably trying to enjoy the rush of the night and freedom of the lively avenue.

I sighed deeply, inhaling the scents of fried foods.

How I had longed to come back here.

Lightbulbs hung from wires zigzagging above the street, giving a dreamlike effect as a soft orange glow shone onto the scenery below. The rundown buildings were brought to life, ornate with street signs flashing fluorescent lights for bar adverts and midnight noodle discounts. Smoke and chatter filled the vibrant air as loud music emerged from a discotheque down the road, making my heart pump faster.

I shoved the door to the bar open, running a hand through my damp hair. The bell above jingled vigorously as the smell of cigarettes filled my nostrils, bringing back a hundred memories.

Claire took her gaze off the glass she was cleaning, an eyebrow raised at an odd angle. She wasn't expecting me.

Settling at my usual spot, I laid a few dollars on the bar. I didn't want to spend more, staying sane was a priority tonight.

"You're back." Claire murmured, pocketing the coins as she started preparing my usual.

I winced at her choice of words, twisting a coin between my index and thumb. The emblem of CyberCity was carefully carved into the metal, singling our people out. These types of sly reminders were always present, a constant tease of our cowardice and selfishness. The four walls we'd built to protect ourselves from the world hadn't been enough, we had had to adapt to a whole new economy, a whole new lifestyle.

Claire placed my usual on the bar and, without a word, resumed her cleaning. She was like that, minded her own business, didn't like to ask a whole lot of questions about people. I guess it's just old habits we learn to follow around here, I thought to myself. Criminal offenses weren't uncommon in the avenue.

Lifting the glass to my lips, I took my first steady sip. The liquor burned my lips, but I had long learned to adapt to the sensation. It was sweet at first, like fruity sirup slowly oozing down your throat, but the after-taste was bitter and sharp.

Bored with the lack of entertainment at the bar, I chugged down the rest of the remaining alcohol. The ice-cubes trinketed against each other in my glass, still intact. I ran an exasperated hand through my untamed hair, feeling Claire's burning gaze on me. For a particularly detached girl, she was still as curious as everyone in the damn city.

The bell jingled and I shot a glance at the door. The bar was mostly deserted at this hour and I was curious as to which soul would spend the rest of the night wasted, groaning and whimpering on their table, a glass of henny in hand. It wouldn't be the first time.

To my surprise, a girl that seemed to be around my age strode in. She wore a worn-out leather jacket, dark denims and biker boots. I noticed that she held a biker helmet in one hand, which meant she had most likely driven here with a motorbike.

What a grim outfit for such a fluorescent city, I thought to myself and chuckled. My mind and attention wandered back to the mysterious girl who'd just walked in.

Her hair was let loose, accentuating the purple highlights scattered across her raven hair. She was practically scrutinizing the place, glaring down onto the empty tables as if they were threats.

We crossed gazes for a few seconds, both staring each other down, trying to find out more about the other. Her eyes were eerily dark and I found myself wondering what kind of secrets they held, what they'd seen.

Eventually, I turned away for the sake of us both. I didn't enjoy eye contact and by the looks of it, neither did she. I felt her settle a few seats away from me, placing her biker helmet onto the bar and pulling out a few dollar bills that she handed at Claire.

I hadn't noticed her hanging around here before and curiosity piqued at me, but I ignored it and swallowed the remnants of the ice cubes in my glass, chewing on the unmelted few.

"Didn't your mother ever tell you chewing ice cubes is bad for your teeth?" The girl simply stated as she leaned over the counter and sipped her drink.

"Are you even old enough to be in here?" I fired back, shrugging in annoyance.

The mysterious girl simply chuckled and took another sip out of her glass. Fine by me.

I stood from my seat, leaving a tip for Claire and making my way to the exit.

Shooting one last look at the girl, I attempted to take every detail about her in. It seemed important, and I had a gut feeling we'd meet again in the near future. She stared back at me with full force, supporting my gaze, before turning her attention back to her drink.

I exited through the door, tightening my hoodie strings and facing the ground.

***