III

"joshua! dinner is ready!" his mother called, hearing the soft pads of footsteps coming down the wooden stairs.

tyler held josh's hand daintily, following after him. he took each step slowly, careful to listen to the other boy's instructions.

"step," josh murmured each time tyler moved his sock clad feet. he was happy to help him.

once tyler reached the ground he had a satisfied smile on his face, "mkay, whatever your mama made it smells real good!"

he hummed, "it's always homemade, she's an awesome cook."

once they were sat down, tyler let josh cut up his food. he could smell the faint vanilla scent on his skin from the bubble baths he took, and he could hear his soft breaths as he cut the meat.

"thank you, mrs. dun," tyler said politely.

"of course, tyler," she said back with a soft hum.

the boys ate happily, comversating with each other.

mrs. dun's chair squeaked, her shoes making a clicking noise as she walked across the room.

"how about some music?" she asked, putting a record on the player.

"oh that'd b-be amazing. i love music," tyler replied.

the symphony glided across the air and towards their ears, it reminded tyler of someone or something.

the sightless was nowhere near him, had he hidden at the noise? or maybe it was joshua, who had a protective hand on tyler's shoulder.

"you alright, ty?"

he turned to the voice, smiling, "i'm jus' fine."