Gold dress II

Author's note: Part 2 of The gold dress, and again I planned for a story to be a oneshot, only to have it turn out longer. I will need at least one other chapter after this one, hehe. Enjoy!

***

The others have all gone to take their places. The gala is being held at a private mansion at the edge of town. It has a long driveway and our limo is driving slowly up to the main entrance, waiting in line with the other limos and fancy towncars that spill their passengers onto the red carpet one by one.

I'm in the back of the car, sitting next to Loki, running my finger underneath my new bracelet. Loki's magic never fails to amaze me, and so does his attention to detail. When the others were out of earshot I thanked him for my impressive outfit; he waved my thanks away, simply telling me I now match his colour scheme better. A bit vain, but hey, I'm not one to complain when I get to wear a beautiful dress like this!

"Are you ready, Mrs. Miller?" Loki asks, looking at me from the side. There's a gold wedding band on his finger, matching the thinner band I'm wearing. Again, Loki's eye for detail is perfect. I was relieved he simply handed the ring to me so I could put it on myself; this whole mission feels too much like a date already. Loki is looking splendid in his dark green tuxedo and he was very courteous with helping me in the car.

"Sure, it'll be fun." I look back at Loki, who winks at me.

"I'm counting on it," he says, leaving me to read into that however I want.

Our car is finally in front of the red carpet and our driver - one of the Chicago agents - opens the door for us. Loki steps out first, holding his hand out to help me out of the backseat. To the side I recognise agent Patel in her valet uniform, standing ready for the guests who drove themselves here. Closer to the doors is MacKenzie with his photo camera, taking pictures of the people who are coming in. I'm aware of all my surroundings, although the feeling of Loki's hand on mine, guiding my hand up to the crook of his arm, is dominating my senses right now. It's not like he has never touched me, but those were mostly functional touches, this feels a little more intimate. Loki introducing us as 'Mr. and Mrs. Miller' to the host at the door, handing the man our invitations, doesn't help with the feeling of intimacy.

Inside, he helps me out of my robe at the coat check and gets us drinks in champagne flutes. Without making it too obvious what we are here for he leads me to the room where all the items for the auction are on display. There are several paintings; the one we're after is not even the most valuable picture here. There's also fancy looking jewelry, the diamonds displayed in glass boxes. There are more guests here, looking at the items and discussing them with each other.

I am admiring a large necklace, heavy with diamonds, when a middle-aged gentleman starts talking to us. He and his wife are also checking out the jewelry, the woman wearing some expensive looking diamond earrings of her own. "That is a fine necklace, are you thinking of bidding on it for your wife?" the man asks Loki.

Loki steps around me to glance at the necklace that tapers down to a large round diamond, surrounded by smaller cut stones. Then he straightens out again, standing really close to me; his hand goes up to my face and his fingers trace my jawline. When he speaks, it is with that velvety undertone. "It is a pretty necklace, but my wife doesn't need shiny jewelry. Her beauty alone lights up the room."

"That is such a lovely thing to say," the woman coos, smiling warmly at us while I try to hide a miniature heart attack from Loki's words. "How long have you two been married?"

"Almost a year and a half," Loki answers, not skipping a beat and gazing lovingly in my eyes. "Isn't that right, darling?" He lifts my hand up to his lips for a feathery kiss.