Family Matter

Edit - October 29th, 2020

Mornings at the Xavier mansion could be a variety of things. They could be exciting and fun, dreary and dull, or calm and friendly. Today, it was a mix. It was exciting because Stephanie was teaching her biweekly defense class, but it was dreary because they couldn't have it outside like planned. It was supposed to be partly cloudy with very small chances of rain. But it ended up being a down pour, and Storm was out of the country. As Stephanie checked to see who was coming, she felt another presence in her mind.

'Is there something you need professor?'

'Could you come to my study? There's something I need to discuss with you.'

'Of course.'

She parted ways with the students she was with, and headed to professor x's office.

"Mom!"

She turned around to see Charlie and Jamie walking towards her.

"Can we talk later? The professor needs me."

"What coincidence," Jamie said, hooking her arm around Stephanie's. "We're heading that way as well."

The three walked through the mansion, occasionally talking about the things that happened at the mansion. When they reached the professor's study, Jean was standing outside.

"I'd get in there if I were you three." She said.

"Did we do something?" Charlie asked, confused.

"I don't think so, but the professor seems pretty serious about something."

Charlie and Jamie went in first with Stephanie right behind him.

"What can we do for you, professor?" Charlie asked.

Stephanie took note of the two people sitting across from the professor.

"If you could, Charlie, close the door."

Charlie did, using his powers.

"An old friend of mine contacted me, saying that they needed help. They said that an artifact of theirs had been stolen, and few of their workers were taken as well."

"Okay, how does that involve us?" Jamie asked.

"They're from SHIELD."

Stephanie's face changed from curious, to down right angry.

"NO. There's no way in hell, we're going to help those people. Now, if you'll excuse me professor, I have a class to prepare for."

She turned around to open the door, when a voice called out to her.

"I would advise against leaving, Miss Rogers."

"Yeah," She said, looking over her shoulder. "You'd have to convince me a whole lot harder than that, Fury."

........

"Today's lesson is going to focus on using a combination of hand-to-hand combat, and your powers. Now, we've been practicing on the usage of hand-to-hand combat. Can someone remind me why?"

A girl with green skin and pink hair spoke up.

"In the case that there's something that can nullify our powers."

"Correct Layla. As some of you may you know, in the anti-mutant movement, they used a 'cure' to nullify our x-gene. What a lot of you don't know, is that the 'cure', was created using a mutant's powers. That individuals powers, had the ability to nullify an individual's, or more, powers when they came within a certain distance. He didn't know any better.

Now, what's stop the anti-mutant people, or even mutants who want to harm us, from creating a machine that does that? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. We need to be ready. Now, who's willing to take the first slot against me?"

"I will."

Stephanie turned around, and saw someone she hadn't seen in a very long time.

"I, um.....kids, could you excuse me for a moment?"

Stephanie pulled her brother out into the hallway, closing the door behind her.

"What....how...how are you here? You crashed into the ice! You should be dead!"

"I know. But whatever was in the serum, allowed me to survive."

Stephanie ran her hand through her hair, trying to comprehend this. Then something sparked her interest.

"Bucky, did he...?"

Steve shook his head.

"I'm sorry."

Stephanie closed her eyes, holding in the sorrow that bloomed inside her.

"How bad is the situation? The one Fury wants me for?"

"Do you remember the tesseract?"

Stephanie's eyes snapped open. Fear and anger filling them.

"You mean that stupid piece of space junk that took you away from me?"

"Yeah. Someone stole it, and Fury wants our help to take it back."

Stephanie contemplated for a couple of minutes before saying anything.

"I'll do it. Just give me a minute."

She stepped inside the training room. She explained to her students that something has come up, and that she would need to leave and take care of it. She also told them that they would continue their lesson when she returned.

"I'll be fine. You do as the other teachers say, and don't get into trouble."

She left the training room, and went to the professor's office.

"I'll do it. On one condition, you can not tell Logan."

"I will do my utmost in keeping it from him. But should he find out, I can't stop him." Professor X said.

"I know. I know that better than anyone."

Stephanie grabbed her suit from the training room, and followed Steve out to the awaiting quinjet. When she got in the quinjet, she frowned seeing her kids waiting for her in their x-men suits as well.

"What are you doing?"

"I don't know about Charlie, but I'm going," Jamie said. "The tesseract took my dad from me. I want to see that thing destroyed."

"I know. But if you guys die, I wouldn't be able to live with myself. Jamie, you're the last person, besides Peggy, that gives me a connection to your father. Charlie, you're the first child I've ever been able to have. If you get hurt or die, I wouldn't be able to face myself, or your father."

"Mom," Charlie said, putting a hand on Stephanie's shoulder. "I'm 23. Not a little kid. I can handle myself. If dad doesn't like it, he can just deal with it. I'm not gonna let some weirdo destroy my home. Even if some of the people that live there are annoying."

Stephanie chuckled.

"You sound like your uncle more and more, every day."

Stephanie took a deep breath before speaking again.

"Well, if you guys are this serious, I guess there's nothing to do. Pilot, we're ready."

The four of them buckled up, and the jet took off.

"Steve," Stephanie said, getting her brother's attention. "I would like to introduce you to your nephew, Charles Logan Howlett. Charlie, this is your uncle Steve Rogers. I'm pretty sure I don't have to introduce you to Bucky's daughter, Jamie."

"Hey Steve," Jamie said, with a teary smile. "It's good to see you, again."

"It's good to see you too, Jamie." Steve replied with a smile.

(AN: Holy crud, this took way too long to write. I would apologize, but I'm all that sorry. I didn't want this to seem rushed. Excluding this note, this part/chapter has a total of 1,100 words. Anyway, hope y'all had a great week. See ya' next time!)