Broken Promises

Beta'd by my friend Taylor Dong. She's the one that you need to thank for updates.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Draco stepped off the train and onto the packed platform. He could see his parents standing near the exit. They were looking through the crowd of children- looking for him. Draco sighed and turned to Blaise and Pansy.

"Good-bye. Have a wonderful trip Pansy."

Pansy nodded and kissed Draco's cheek lightly. "Don't wait up for me. Have a good time with your girlfriend."

Draco and Blaise watched her walk off with her family, disappearing in the crowd. Draco turned towards Blaise but Blaise was already walking off.

"Owl me when you get to your manor." Blaise said over his shoulder. Draco nodded, knowing that Blaise wouldn't see him. He motioned for Crabbe and Goyle to follow him and together they pushed their way through the crowd. When they reached Lucius, Crabbe and Goyle left to find their parents. Lucius looked Draco over and nodded minutely.

"I see you were able to cover the bruise."

Draco's fingers twitched as he refrained from touching the side of his face. "Yes Father."

"Good." Lucius grabbed Draco by his upper left arm and pulled him from the train station. "You're mother is waiting by the car. I suggest you hurry."

Draco nodded and followed his father silently. As they exited the platform Draco's eyes found a pair of green ones that watched him until he disappeared in the crowd.

Draco walked two steps behind Lucius the entire walk to the car. The car was more like a limo than a car and Draco slid into the seat farthest from the driver, Lucius and Narcissa sitting opposite him. Lucius opened his mouth to say something when Narcissa laid her hand across his arm.

"Wait until we get home dear. Let him rest in the car. He probably had a long year."

Lucius nodded and closed his mouth. Draco looked out the window, unable to continue looking at his parents. The fear of Lucius and what he had dreamed of settled over him like a raincloud. It shot shivers of icy numbness down his spine and the longer he looked at Narcissa shooting him pitying glances the longer he suffered. The car ride was short and they pulled up to the door of their manson within minutes. Just enough time for Draco to shield his nerves to the torment he would receive when they walked through the door.

"I expect to see you in the office in a timely manner, Draco."

"Yes, Father," Draco nodded. He made his way into the house and watched his father disappear up the stairs. Narcissa walked to his side and placed a hand on his shoulder. Draco shied away from the contact and Narcissa pulled a disgusted face at him.

"Do not run away from contact with your mother boy. I have raised you and you will show me the respect that I deserve," Narcissa's tone was sharp and cut to Draco's core.

"Yes, Mother."

Narcissa put her hand back on Draco's shoulder. She led him through the house towards the large dining room and kitchen. "Because your father let our house elf go you will be doing the chores until he is replaced. Starting with cleaning and setting the table and getting dinner made. Some very important people are coming so I expect it to be wonderful and spotless. After you are finished put on your nicest suit. You'll be serving us during dinner and the meeting afterwards. When the guest leave you are allowed to eat. Not before, understood?"

Draco nodded helplessly at his fate for the following months. When Narcissa let him go Draco turned around and headed straight to Lucius' study. When he arrived, he knocked on the door and waited for confirmation to enter.