t h r e e

Tuesday, October 15, 2019

✖️✖️✖️

Going to school was the second hardest thing I ever had to do. My dad offered to call the school and let me take another day off, but there was no point. I'd have to go back eventually. No point in prolonging the inevitable.

Once I finally dragged myself out of bed, I pulled on a pair of dark pants and a heavy black sweatshirt with sleeves long enough to cover up to my knuckles. I pulled my hood up and let my hair hang in front of my eyes. I was mad that most of my face was still visible, but the staff wasn't about to let me into the school wearing a ski mask.

Cori followed me outside and climbed into the passenger seat of the truck. She was pretty quiet for most of the drive, which was unlike her. I could feel her eyes on me, and I made an effort not to look over at her. I knew what she was thinking, and I didn't want to talk about it.

I pulled up to the front entrance of her middle school, and she climbed out silently.

"Have a good day," I said, something I'd normally never say.

Cori and I cared about each other, she meant the world to me, and I was very protective of her, but we'd never admit it. We had a goofy relationship and we picked on each other a lot, but we weren't usually very sentimental with each other.

"Thanks, Isaac," she said quietly before turning and running off toward a group of kids heading up the steps to the entrance.

My phone buzzed in my pocket, so I pulled it out to find a text from Kelly.

coming to school today??

I messaged back:

See you there.

I sat in my truck for too long, trying to muster up the courage to walk through the front doors of my high school. Once I entered, there was no turning back. I had to face the people I'd grown up with, looking the way I was.

I'd thought I was a freak before, when I was one of the few unaffected. Now, I might've been the biggest freak of all.

Once I saw that I only had five minutes left to get to class, I ditched my truck and headed inside. I pulled my hood up to hopefully deflect unwanted attention, but I knew I couldn't go to class like that.

I kept my head down in the halls, and I managed to make it to my locker without anyone noticing me. I grabbed my first-period AP English textbook, then headed quickly to class.

"No hoods up in school," said the low voice of Mr. Gibbons, my strict third-period Chemistry teacher.

I cringed. I considered pretending I hadn't heard him and continue walking, but I knew he'd chase me down. I pulled my hood off and picked up my pace.

I kept my head down. My heart felt like it was in my throat. All I could hear was my own beating heart pounding away in my chest. I was beyond scared.

I reminded myself that everyone went through this same thing. Kelly had once gone through this, and his condition was just as bad as mine. If he could do this, so could I.

"Oh my god. Look at Finch."

I could tell it was meant to be a whisper, but I couldn't help looking up at the girl who said it. She was from my Swedish class. Then a guy I knew from Physics piped up behind me too.

"What the hell is on his skin?"

"Is that Isaac Finch?"

"It's gotta be the Sickness."