Chapter 26

CHAPTER 26

THIS CHAPTER IS IN JACOB’S POV

It’s not always easy being a guy.  You have to have this strength to you, like bravery almost.  You can’t show any weakness because that is just an invitation for someone to come and mess with you.  But if I had a chance to go back, for one second, I would choose to be a bitch.  Looking at Melanie’s face right now makes my heart ache in so much agony and pain that I just want to rip it out of my chest, just so I won’t feel this pain any more.  And this is just how I feel.  I can only imagine what everyone else feels, especially Melanie.  After hearing the news about Dee’s death, Melanie completely shut down.  She has not been herself in days, and I honestly can’t blame her.  I just wish there was something I could do.  I wish she would just tell me what I can do to help her because I have no idea what to do, except be there for her.  

I picked her up today for Dee’s funeral today.  She walked out of her house with a knee length black dress and black heels.  Her hair was so fluffy and full of curls, and despite her red eyes, she still looked so beautiful to me.  Those red eyes from her tears have been haunting me these past few days.  I just don’t like seeing any girl cry, let alone mine.  When she got in the car she smelled of vanilla and when she looked at me, despite these circumstances, she smiled at me.  Nothing too big, but she smiled.  I haven’t seen her smile in so long I could not help but pull her closer to me and kiss her.  In that kiss I wanted to give her my love, sympathy, apology for what she is going through.  In that kiss I wanted her to know that I was here for her no matter what.  And in that kiss, she kissed me back and I felt the same emotions in return.  I pulled away and looked at those red eyes again.

“Hey.” I said lowly.

“Hi.” she said in her sweet voice.

I sat back in my seat and turned the car on, ready to pull off.  Dee’s parents decided to have the funeral at a local place in town, not far from Melanie’s.  As soon as we pulled into the parking lot and saw all of those people there to say their goodbyes, I heard Melanie suck in her breath.  I turned quickly towards her, parking the car.

“Are you okay?” I asked her.

“Yeah.  It just hit me that this will be the last time I will be by her side.” she spoke.

“You can say that, but that doesn’t mean she won’t be by yours’.”

She looked at me and gave me another smile.  After taking another deep breath Melanie nodded her head in agreement and got out the car.  I stepped out too and shut the door.  I went to the trunk and grabbed my suit jacket and put it on.  Melanie came over to the back of the car and looked at me.

“What?  Is my shirt wrinkled?” I asked her.

“No.” she said simply.

She walked up to me and reached for my tie.  Before I could interject she was fixed my tie, making sure it looked perfect.  I could not help but notice she had her nails done.