#5

Sulaiman ibn Khalida says that a young man of an old lady was mentioned to Hisham ibn Abdul Malik (the Khalifah in Damascus 105 AH). This young girl was renowned for her beauty, good manners, and recitation of the Quran and prolific poetry. Hisham sent orders by post to the governor of Kufa to have the girl bought for whatever her owner (the old lady) asked for and then to have her immediately sent to him. He sent along a servant for her. When the governor received the letter, he sent for the old lady who sold the girl for 2,000 Dhirhams and a date orchard which would yield five hundred mithqal (a unit of weight) of dates every year. The governor dressed the girl in royal clothing and sent her to Hisham.

Hisham gave her, her own quarters and an escort of servants, presented her with some precious jewels and extravagant clothing. One day while Hisham was with her on a luxurious balcony which was enhanced with cushions and perfume, she related some intriguing stories to him and composed some poems. Suddenly, there were cries for help. Hisham looked over the balcony and saw a hearse accompanied by people.

Behind the procession was a group of mourning women. One mourner cried out loud: 'O you who are being carried on wooden sticks; you who are being taken to the dead; you are who about to be left alone in your grave and you who are about to be made a stranger in your resting place. O you who are being transferred. If only I knew whether you are telling those who are carrying you to hurry up, or whether you are asking them where they are taking you and to take you back.'

Hisham started to weep, discarded his pleasure and started to say: 'Death is admonition enough.'

Ghadid (the girl) said: 'This mourner has broken my heart.'

Hisham said: 'It is a very serious matter.' And called the servant. He came down from the balcony and left.

Ghadid remained stuck to her couch. That night she dreamt that someone came to her and said: 'You are flattered by your beauty and you lure with your charm. How will you be when the trumpet is blown (on the Day of Judgment) ; when people are resurrected and then confronted with their actions.'

Ghadid woke frightened and drank something to pacify herself. She then called upon one of her servants and asked her to prepare a bath for her. After her bath, she got rid of her jewels and clothes and wore a woolen jalabiyah and tied a string around her waist. She took a cane with a bag over it and stormed into Hisham's room.

Hisham did not recognize her. 'I am Ghadid, your girl,' she said. 'A warner came to me and his warning shook me. You have had your pleasure with me. I have come to ask you to free me from the slavery of this world.'

'There is so much difference between those who seek pleasure. You are with your pleasure, so go you are free for the sake of Allah. But where do you intend to go?' Hisham inquired.

'I want to visit the House of Allah,' she replied.

'Go,' replied Hisham. 'No one will be in your way.' She left the capital and arrived in Mecca where she remained in fasting during the day like a gazelle in its den. When night came she wound perform tawaf of the Ka'ba and say: 'O my treasure you are my provision. Don't cut off my hope; grant me my wish; make good my return and be generous in giving me reward.'

She became very famous and died worshipping. May Allah have mercy upon her. (Ibid:22)

Vote 🌟 comment 💭