• Aftermath •

A/N: Welcome to the first installment in the Book of Newtina!
This is set after the events of FBAWTFT. If requested, I'll make COG one-shots/fanfics as well!

Disclaimer: The characters belong to J.K Rowling, as does the world they are in.

Let's begin!

Tina watched as Queenie said goodbye to Jacob for the first and last time. Her gaze flickered to the Magizoologist beside her. Not even the beautiful freckles on his face could distract her from the utterly depressing image of her sister and the No-Maj in the rain.
She felt Queenie grab her arm, and her eyes quickly averted from Newt Scamander's freckled cheeks. Her sister's eyes were wet with tears, the hand on her arm trembling. Queenie nodded slowly, grabbing Newt's arm with her free hand. Tina saw Newt flinch. What had Graves-no... Grindelwald done to him?
While Tina was distracted, Queenie squeezed her eyes shut and apparated them home.

They appeared in the Goldsteins' kitchen a moment later, both Newt and Tina shooting worried glances towards the younger Goldstein sister. She was already turning towards her bedroom when Tina called out to her.

"Queenie?" she said quietly. "Are you... okay?"  The blonde stopped in her tracks and hovered a moment. She soon fell to the floor, her pink dress coat fanning out around her as she broke into loud sobs that echoed around the small apartment. Tina rushed over and threw her arms around her younger sister, slowly falling victim to a bout of tears as well. 

Newt sighed and shifted awkwardly, not daring to meet either of the women's eyes. He couldn't bear to watch Tina cry. "I'll... I'll leave you two be," he decided shakily, placing his case on the ground and retreating inside, leaving the top open in case they needed him. 

Back upstairs, Queenie had finally taken her eyes off the floor and brought them up to give an apologetic look to her sister. She smiled sadly. "You should go talk to him," she hiccuped, standing up on weak knees. She sniffed loudly, taking a deep breath before shakily helping her sister to her feet. Tina was utterly baffled. She opened her mouth to speak. "That's... That's awfully kind, Teen, but he needs you more than I do," she replied, her sister's thoughts filling her mind. "I just need s-some time, that's all."

Tina eyed her sister skeptically. There was something about her smile that was off. She knew something Tina didn't. "Queenie, you just collapsed! Y-You-" She was cut off by a hug from the blonde. "I'm fine."

Tina reluctantly gave in and sighed as Queenie headed to her bedroom, without her normal bounce. There was something wrong, but Tina listened to her sister and headed into Newt's case. 

The ex-auror made her way through Newt's case, greeting the Mooncalves and Occamies, the niffler and of course, who couldn't forget Dougal. Her sad demeanour had quickly changed into one of hope and excitement as she searched for the Magizoologist. "Newt?" she called out.

A soft humming could be heard from behind the Bowtruckle enclosure. Tina followed the sound, her ears slowly picking up on a more than familiar tune. She smiled slightly as she recognized the song that she and her sister had sung no more than a few hours prior. She moved quietly through the bushes, and finally saw the man the was looking for.

Newt was standing over a small table, his navy blue coat draped over the side as he carefully inspected it for rips and tears. It was his favourite jacket, he had to make sure it hadn't been wrecked after everything that had happened.

Tina slowly revealed herself and began humming the tune along with him. Her cheeks flushed as Newt's head whipped around to look at her. He smiled awkwardly and kept his gaze low. "T-Tina! I-uh, was just- uh, I'm sorry for... well, butchering your school's song, it was just stuck in my head," Newt confessed, looking into Tina's beautiful brown eyes for only a moment before staring at nothing once more.

Tina shook her head repeatedly. "No, i-it was actually kind of... nice to hear you hum the song, it reminds me of when I was in school," she shrugged, slightly disappointed that his gaze wouldn't linger on her. Why did Queenie send me down here? It's not like he feels the same way, and even if he did, Madame Piquery ordered him to leave New York...

Newt relaxed a bit. "So... what did you come down here for? I thought Queenie was... you know..." Tina nodded. "She said she was fine. I don't quite believe her though. I don't need to be a legilimens to know when my sister is acting strange," she chuckled, earning a small, sad smile from Newt.

Tina spotted a small, green head poke out of Newt's vest pocket. Pickett hopped onto his shoulder and tilted his head towards Tina. Newt narrowed his eyes at the small creature. "Not now Pickett," he murmured firmly. The bowtruckle chittered a bit before slinking back into Newt's pocket. Tina giggled. "What was he saying?" she asked.

Newt became redder. "O-Oh nothing, he's just... hungry." Tina nodded unbelievingly, still staring at his breast pocket.

A/N: So... how was that? I'll try to update tomorrow but I have quite a bit of homework to do before I can continue writing. 

Thanks for reading!