• Aftermath • Part Three •

A/N: I am aware this completely breaks canon and is not how FBAWTFT ends and is not how COG continues the story but... do I care? nah I guess this is an AU now

It was past midnight before Newt Scamander had returned to the Goldstein residence. When he entered the small apartment upon his arrival, briefcase in hand, he was expecting the sisters to be asleep and in bed, enabling him to easily sneak down into his briefcase and not disturb their slumber. What was waiting for him on the other side of the door however, was a completely different story.

He unlocked the door and, to his surprise, every light in the room seemed to be on. And... the kettle was on. The sisters were both clearly awake, one more than the other. Queenie was leaning against the kitchen counter, waiting for the kettle to finish so she could drink her tea. She was calm, almost. Tina on the other hand seemed too anxious for tea. Her short, brown hair bounced around as she paced back and forth along the creaky wooden floor. 

"Newt!" Queenie exclaimed. "Look, Tina, it's Newt-" she stopped dead. And so did Tina. The older Goldstein sister raced forward at the sight of the man in the doorway, embracing him so quickly that it made him stagger. 

"Tina?" He mumbled, much of his already quiet voiced was muffled by Tina's hair. His face flushed and he patted her lightly on the back. "Are you... okay?" he asked nervously. He was clearly unaware of why the brunette had collapsed into his arms like this. Honestly, he was still unaware as to her and her sister were awake this late in the first place. Queenie stifled a chuckle while reading the man's thoughts. He was clueless.

Soon enough, Tina pulled away. She seemed to have realized what she had done, because when Newt's gaze fell upon her face, all he could see was red cheeks and a somewhat indignant expression. Tina raised her head and huffed. "Do you know what time it is, Mr. Scamander?" Newt seemed startled at the use of his full name. Tina hadn't called him that since before Grindelwald was captured. He clearly had done something wrong.

"Nearly half-past... one?" he mumbled. Tina nodded furiously. "You didn't have to wait up for me you know, you could have gone to bed." 

"COULD HAVE GONE TO BED?" Tina raised her voice and seemed instantly regretful for her outburst, continuing her thought. "I wa- We were worried sick! You can't just lie about where you're going and then come home late! What were you thinking?" Hands on her hips, she awaited his response.

Newt's bewildered expression continued to persist on his face. He looked desperately to Queenie. Why didn't you tell her? I know you know. You let her worry like this when you knew I'd be back. She all but smiled cheekily. Newt scoffed. He turned back to Tina quickly and sighed. Hi hand that wasn't still gripping his briefcase nervously was tugging at the cuff of his coat. "I-I'm sorry Tina. I didn't think it would be a problem. I'm not... I'm not used to having people around who give a second thought as to where I am. I'm sorry I caused you to worry."

Tina was speechless. Honestly, she wasn't used to being apologized to like that. So sincerely. Unless it was by her sister, but certainly never a man and definitely not a wizard. She cleared her throat nervously and adjusted her shirt. "...Thank you. I appreciate the apology." The witch seemed as if she wanted to say more, but decided against it and went to sit down. She seemed exhausted, unsurprisingly.

Newt closed the door behind him, finally, but he lingered near the door. His foot began tapping anxiously as a thought entered his mind. No, not right now. Or... maybe? Queenie's eyes widened. "That's my queue!" she smiled, taking her cup of tea and sipping it carefully as she walked to her bedroom.

"Tina," Newt began. He paused and placed his briefcase on the ground and opened it up. "Would you... join me for a moment?" Tina, confused, nodded, and followed the British wizard down into the suitcase.

A/N: Woah... okay so it's been like ten months since I updated this! I kind of forgot it existed for a while and then I checked my wattpad today and was mega O_O. So uh, yeah! This is part three of Aftermath. Do you think you know what Newt did? leave theories in the comments! I'll update it soon :) (And actually soon, not in ten months. I swear I won't forget!)