22

Brenna

Brenna

All morning, Shea and I are texting back and forth. It's mostly about French.

Mostly.

The rest is him complaining about attending Preston's birthday party—if we can call it that. People will be so shit-faced before the night ends the concept of party won't make sense to anyone. He tries to convince me to forgo the plan. I tell him to fuck off (in a joking manner). That being said, my words hold some honesty. He dragged me into this mess. It's his job to fix it. I didn't agree to partake in this. I agreed to take Connor down. Shea's role will play a part in achieving that. Even if he despises Connor, there are steps we need to take before he meets his demise.

However, this texting scenario is problematic.

All throughout our classes, we're texting each other. We're exchanging glances. Smiling.

I don't like where this is going. Becoming friends again with Shea is... It makes me second-guess myself. Is being friends worth the trouble? Who's saying our friendship won't fall apart after this is over? A common enemy is fuelling our truce. Despite his attitude, I can see a boy who wants to be better. He's taken my comments to heart. I've experienced effort on his part. Knowing he wants to try makes him more appealing.

By the time lunch arrives, I've relieved. Lunch gives me a chance to forget about my phone. Texting Shea isn't good.

"Brenna!" Hunter calls.

I glance up from my phone. Hunter and the rest of the gang are sitting across the cafeteria. He's dressed in his typical chef attire. His white hat sits on the table, forgotten. He must be on a break from his shift in the culinary program. Every once in a while, Hunter helps with cooking the daily cafeteria meals.

He raises his hand and waves. There's a big smile on his face.

I can't help but smile back. Seeing Hunter always puts a smile on my face. I'm thankful to have him as a friend.

As I'm winding my way through the crowd, I keep my gaze focused on the table ahead. It's the usual group: Hunter, Nick, Drew, Ella, and Evren. Until I see the two stragglers sitting on the ends. It's KJ and Shea.

I stop in the middle of the cafeteria, my hands falling to my sides. My mouth goes a little slack. I'd been too focused on Hunter to realize who else was there.

Why the fuck is Shea sitting next to Hunter?

They talked during our outing to Scandia. Not enough to become friends, let alone like each other, though. And... And why are KJ and Ella talking?

I rub the heel of my hand against my forehead. Some kind of fuckery is occurring. Perhaps I worked too hard at this morning's practice and the gym class after. I try to recall the drills we did. Did I hit my head on the ice? Seeing everyone together makes me feel like I've fallen into an alternate universe.