41

Shea

Shea

Hunter and I enter the hospital. A rush of warm air greets us, which eases the chill radiating down my spine. We stomp our feet against the entrance mat, loosening any remnants of snow.

"Ava said they're in the ER," Hunter says.

I run a hand through my hair, shaking away any melting snowflakes. "Will we be able to get in?"

Hunter unzips his winter jacket and removes it, throwing it over his shoulder. I follow his actions. The air is hot and stuffy in here, making me sweat.

"We should," he replies. "Ava will let the staff know."

Stopping, Hunter turns to me and rests a hand on my shoulder. He gives it a squeeze. "Take a deep breath, Smith. Brenna's okay. Ava told us she's already awake. They're waiting for test results to come back regarding a possible concussion. They've stitched her up. But she's okay. That's all that matters."

I expel a deep breath, refusing to make eye contact with Tucker. Although I didn't like Tucker at the beginning, he's grown on me. I can call him a good friend now.

Even if we tell each other to fuck off a lot.

We both know it's meant on banter terms.

"You're right," I reply, meeting his gaze. "Cut me some slack for worrying about her."

Grinning, Tucker claps me on the back. "My, how the tables have turned."

"Fuck off," I mutter.

He gives me a shove as we saunter down the hallway, passing the information desk and various rooms. "You fuck off, Smith."

A grin spread across my lips. It matches the one Hunter flashes at me.

"Something's wrong with us," I say.

Hunter shrugs. "Easier to like each other than to hate each other, right?"

He has a point. That's the conclusion Brenna and I came to, too.

However, before I can express my agreement, we arrive at the ER. Through the small window, I can see several hospital beds lining the walls. There are curtains between each bed. Some are open, some are closed.

From here, I can't see Brenna. It means she's behind the curtains or on the far side of the room.

My palms become clammy. I'm hoping Ava doesn't tear a strip off of me. Not that Brenna fainting was my fault. I could've put in better effort to catch her as opposed to her taking us down, though. Then maybe she wouldn't have stitches above her brow.

With a glance over his shoulder, Hunter pushes through the swinging doors. Stepping inside, the smell of antiseptic is ten times more potent. Nurses are scuttling around the area, tending to patients.