Chapter 1

I sigh, gulping down what seems to be my millionth shot tonight. The music is pounding, the club smells disgustingly like body odor, and my throat burns from many shots of tequila. Normally, I would be out on the dance floor having the time of my life, but tonight I'm just bored.

I weave my way through sweaty bodies, scanning the room until I find my target.There. I spot a tall, light brown haired man surrounded by a cloud of giggling girls right in the middle of the dance floor. Usually I would pick an approach less conspicuous, but I'm so bored out of my mind that I honestly don't care.

Putting on a seductive smile, I approach the man and tap his shoulder. He turns around, then scans my body up and down, his eyes lingering on my cleavage.

He gives me a lazy grin. "Dance?"

I nod and pull him farther onto the dance floor. His eyes are still on my chest and I silently thank the wonders of push up bras. He puts his arms around my waist, hands slowly drifting lower as I grind myself against him. I can feel his warm breath against me as he moans and I grin, rolling my hips harder in response.

He eventually pulls me out into the cool air of the alley by the nightclub, stumbling over my feet as he pushes me against the wall and slobbers all over my neck. I grimace. I should have approached him much earlier, now he was so drunk he could barely stand up properly.

His hands squeeze my ass as his mouth moves up toward my lips. Carefully, I reach for the knife at my side. My fingers close around air.

Damn, I must have dropped it at the bar. I'll have to do this the messy way. I start kissing my way along the man's neck, feeling my canines elongate as I do so. I run my tongue along his jugular, hearing him moan as I do so.

"Yes baby, yes!" I roll my eyes; I hate pet names. 

I can hear him breathing harder now, so I seize the moment, biting viciously through the skin and tearing out his throat.

Blood gushes from the wound and the metallic taste of it fills my mouth. I scrunch up my nose in distaste and spit some of it out onto the ground. I let the dead man drop to the ground and bend over to check his pockets for anything valuable. I grin when I find a pocket knife and a pack of mints.

"Thanks, dude," I tell him fondly, "I can use these mints to get the taste of your blood out of my mouth."

I open the box, but there aren't any mints - only a small razor blade. I smirk to myself, it appears I wasn't the only one a mission tonight. I wonder who would have died if I hadn't killed the man. 

I'm about to hightail it back to my apartment for the night when I hear the faintest sound of footsteps approaching. By the sound of it, the person advancing is trying to disguise their movements - meaning they know exactly what I've been up to.

Shit. My trap is about to catch someone much sooner than I anticipated, and I don't even have time to go back for the dagger I left at the bar.

I scramble around on the ground looking for anything else that can be used as a weapon. My hands scrabble desperately on the ground but I can't even find a good sized rock. I try searching the dead man again, but I don't find anything else. Guess I'm stuck with just a pocket knife and a  razor blade.

I stuff the blade inside my concealed bra pocket carefully, just in case I need it later, and grip the knife in my hand. I crouch in the shadows near a trash can, waiting for the footsteps. It's silent. I sniff the air, scenting cedar and pine. It must be a wolf.

The smallest shuffle gives me clue to get the hell out of the way, and I dive to the side just as figure pounces on the spot where I was just sitting. I scramble away, gripping the knife tightly in my hand, until I'm on the other side of the alley, across from the figure.