Chapter One

When you are born into today's society, you are born into Factions. There's Amity, the ones who produce food that comes to our city. They hate conflict and our cowards most the time.

There's Abnegation, the ones who help everyone. The ones who run our government. They help everyone but theirselves even the factionless. But lately they've been breaking the laws.

The next is Candor, the ones who speak the truth, no matter what. They believe that telling the truth in every situation is a good thing, though sometimes you wish you punch them in the face. Their insensitive about the truth as well.

Erudite, the smart ones. The know-it-alls, the ones who spend their time filling their big ass heads up with knowledge. They know everything and it can be over the top annoying. But that's who they are.

Then there's Dauntless, the brave ones. We take on the role of protecting people. We are fearless, until it comes to our own fears. Sometimes we don't think and sometimes we're stubborn but we would take a bullet or a knife for anyone ANYDAY.

Lastly there's Divergent. No one talks about them, they aren't a faction because it's so rare to find one. And if you are one, you hide it. You don't tell anyone because you'll end up dead if they let the information out. They are dangerous to the faction system, but in my opinion I think they're interesting.

"Are you nervous?" Asked my brother. Today was the day we were going to the test. The test that let's us know who we are. But I already know, I'm Dauntless.

"No, not at all. Are you?" I asked him. His piercing blue eyes met mine. We shared a room together in the Dauntless dorms. In height we were polar opposites. He is 6'4 and lanky but strong and muscular. I am 5'3 and lanky but muscle. We're twins if you were wondering. And both Dauntless born. I'm older by two minutes.

Fear and excitement shined brightly in his eyes. "What if it says I have to leave? What if I'm not Dauntless? I don't want to leave! I would have no one to turn to!" He ran his hand through his hair frantically. His anxiety was extreme. Quickly I wrapped my arms around the tall blonde haired boy, trying to calm him down. I didn't want him to leave either. He hugged me back and whispered, "what if I'm divergent?" My body tensed up. I hadn't thought about it, the chance that he or I could be. Our parents were and they taught us what to do if we ever found out if we were. Our older brother are Divergent as well.

Pulling away I looked up at him in the eye. "Look it's possible, but we know what to do if it happens. Four trained us on what to do okay. Mom and dad trained us on what to do if it ever happened okay?" He nodded and smiled softly. "Now come on, we have a train to catch." Taking his hand in mine we followed the other Dauntless born out. A boy with Lilac hair walked beside us. He and my brother used to hate each other. But now they have become friends. "Hello Michael." I said without looking at the tall pale boy.

"Hello Lace." Before the conversation could carry on I let go of my brothers hand and moved forward in the crowd to be with my friends. See my brother and I are polar opposites. He's shy, quiet, and nervous until you get to know him. Him being this way made him not so popular in Dauntless because well I guess you get the point. I on the other am loud, sly, sneaky, confident, and crazy. My brother is excatly like this once he comfortable around you. I am like this no matter what and it has made very popular in Dauntless. When we eat I sit with the other popular, loud, daring teens, while my brother sits with Michael and most likely transfers. But I would still do anything for him.

I was in the front leading the group to the railway tracks. Nick and Dana on my sides. We took off running and laughing. "Come on!" I waved to everyone. My favorite part was climbing the beams to get up there. The rush of feeling free. I lined up with Dana and Nick on the platform, waiting for everyone else. My brother was in the middle with Michael trailing him. As the train came into site we raced it down the tracks. Jumping I hit the button and the door slid open. I hopped in followed by Dana, Nick, Taylor, Matt, Carter, and Drew. More Dauntless came in including my brother and Michael. It was weird having them in the first car because they were normally in the fifth. I ignored them and went back to talking to Dana, Taylor, Matt, and Carter.