Chapter 2

"Rey

"Rey."

Her body suddenly jolted, awakening with a startled gasp at the unexpected call of her name. She had fallen asleep, her head and shoulder propped alongside the base of a stone pillar, leaving an ear exposed to whoever was near to have murmured their plea, and leaning while doing so, over her sleeping form.

Except when her eyes sprang open Rey's only visible sign of companionship were burning remnants of the campfire that Poe assembled during the earlier hours of evening's descent.

A swell of darkness, unscathed by the fire's warm afterglow, served as a shadowy backdrop beyond the area she'd fallen asleep, its veil within her vicinity was partially broken by small particles of moonlight, peering through cracks and evenly-spaced pillars around the unknown fortress' stone framework.

The echo of her blood pulsing inside her ears raged like a battering war drum, rather than the average steady beat of the heart. Tiny beads of sweat dappled her forehead, extracting a powerful shudder from her muscles that spanned the extent of her shoulders and back, commencing with the evening's bitter cold.

Her more rational state of mind wished to reason with the latter's belief that the voice she heard belonged to Poe rather than Ben, while tentatively scanning her eyes around the circular-shaped fortress. But persuading herself to believe otherwise proved to be more of a struggle when she already knew that her senses reined truth.

Her stomach prickled at the essence of reassurance, setting aside her doubt that the voice was indeed Ben's though it was the manner of how he spoke that made her stomach to churn, sensing the tumultuous pain that he was in. Where he generally allotted affection and fondness within his timbre, the voice that she heard was near warning-like, adding on the allusion of sorrow and desperation and begging for her help.

"Ben?" She called out, her voice hanging above the octave of a whisper. Unfortunately, the deafening song of silence and the wind's eerie moans penetrating holes scattered amongst the fortress' defenses was all that answered.

Rather than raising her voice louder, fearing the chance of waking Poe from his hidden resting place after the long day's worth of traveling, she planted a hand onto the stone pavement beneath her, assisting in the ability to rise from the awkward position she'd settled in.

She winced at the small object that her palm discovered, brows furrowed and confused that it wasn't made of stone like the additional rubble scattered amuck. Slowly, her fingers curled around the foreign artifact and drew it closer to her face, meaning to study it within the dim but suitable lighting.

Eyes narrowed in scrutiny she drew in a sharp breath, recognizing the object that was safely nestled in her hand to be an Alderaanian leaf: a metallic brooch typically worn on cloaks by the Elves of Alderaan. Questions of how it came to be within her possession started to rise, considering the last she'd seen an object similar to the pine green and silver-lined leaf was her last visitation with Ben during Eve of Autumn's final hours – just weeks before his disappearance.