The End Of A Beginning

".. BUT ALSO BEWARE FOR ANOTHER. A CHILD BORN TO ONE WHO SWORE LOYALTY TO THIS DARKNESS AT ALL COSTS. IN THEM THE ANSWER LIES AND IF THEY CHOOSE THE RIGHT PATH, OUR FOE MAY BE FOREVER VANQUISHED."

Lightning flashed in the sky above as rain trickled gently down the window sill, an odd omen of calm before the storm. An old man sat observing the water keenly, watching as the raindrops chased each other into the darkness below. His beard glowed white in the dark and one could tell by the way he peered over his half moon spectacles that he was deep in thought.

"She's gone."

The elderly man turned softly to face the figure in the center of his office. A man stood in dark robes. His hair was a greasy black and his troubled eyes seemed to penetrate the darkness. Yet what was the most noticeable was the unpleasant sneer that twisted his lips, it seemed fixed in place.

"Indeed, Severus. It is as we feared then." The old man peered over at the dark figure carefully.

"Don't act so righteous Albus," Severus sneered. "You could have saved THIS child at least."

"You know as well as I do that I could not," the old man, Albus Dumbledore, sat in a large chair behind his desk with a sigh. "Lord Voldemort would not rest until he made sure the girl was no longer a threat.."

"And so you allowed Bellatrix to dispose of her, despite my warnings," Severus interrupted, his eyes flashing dangerously. "You seem to think that we are all little pawns in your game. These are lives you are toying with here.."

"And there are many more lives that would be harmed if we chose to look at just one," Dumbledore looked sad, his gaze fading off into the darkness as thunder roared outside the castle.

"It's been one month." Severus's voice was quiet., but venom was laced in his words. "Lily's been gone for one month. And it's your doing. Don't you DARE tell me that her life was just another thing to be thrown away."

Dumbledore leaned forward. "Severus, I,.."

"No. I told you this time too. I put myself in danger. Yet you still allowed a girl, not even two, to be MURDERED practically by her own mother. There's no excuse that you can use to slide your way out." Severus slammed his hand on the desk, upsetting a pot of rather strange looking sweets.

Dumbledore eyed him carefully. "I say this honestly that I do not believe all hope is lost." He waved a hand as Severus opened his mouth to argue. "I have great confidence in the fact Estella Lestrange is still very much alive."

Severus's mouth dropped, a rather rare sight. "Don't be ridiculous," he hissed, his hand hovering over his left arm. "I saw the deed for myself."

Dumbledore peered over his spectacles, his beard shimmering in the faint light. "Ah but how can you be sure Severus?" His eyes held a faint twinkle as the other man spluttered for an answer. "I am not sure myself. But," he paused as lightning flashed again, reflecting in his eyes, "I have utmost confidence that good will conquer evil. And Miss Lestrange will appear to us again, even when we least expect it."