Alliances and Accusations

Estella lay in her empty dormitory, her roommates gone for the holidays. Her parents had told her to come home, but she had replied that she was busy with her studies. They didn't do much anyways, she would much rather be around people. Estella bit her lip. Hermione and Ron had never figured out she was with them at Hogsmeade. After hearing Sirius's story, she had quietly excused herself to Harry and left. She shook herself as she got up and threw on her robes, brushing her hair into a ponytail. She had been studying all day and figured it was time to get out and get some air.

Estella made way out of the castle and onto the fields, amazed at how quiet it was. There was hardly a student in sight and a light snow crunched beneath her feet, and she was so mesmerized by the surroundings that she didn't notice Hagrid until it was too late.

"Oof!" she fell to the ground. "Sorry Hagrid, I wasn't looking," she looked up and paused. The Care Of Magical Creatures Professor peered down at her with bleary eyes and a red face. It was obvious he had been crying. "What's wrong Hagrid?"

Hagrid seemed to hesitate for a second before he burst into huge sobs. "Lucius Malfoy's.. made a huge fuss... 'bout Beaky hurtin 'is son .. and he's gonna take us to court."

Estella grimaced as she remembered Tracy's story and patted Hagrid gingerly on his arm. "That's ridiculous Hagrid, from what I've heard Malfoy provoked Buckbeak." As Hagrid's sobs grew louder, Estella looked around and took Hagrids arm. "Let's go back to your house and make some tea and we will try to work this out."

Estella felt like her brain was mush and her eyes were going to explode. She had been scanning books on the rights of magical creatures for hours, with Hagrid beside her, to little avail. As a knock was heard at Hagrid's door, she let her head drop into her arms.

"Hullo Hagrid."

Estella's head popped up immediately at the sound of Ron's voice.

"What's wrong Hagrid?" Hermione stepped in and looked around the hut worriedly, her gaze met Estella's and she froze.

"What're you doing here?" Ron looked defensively at the Slytherin.

"Nothing," Estella stood quickly, bumping the large table. "I should be going." She passed by Harry who also stared. "Doing alright Harry?" She murmured.

The boy blinked and nodded slightly. "Erm, yeah. Thanks."

Estella nodded and moved to go through the door, eager to end this awkward experience, when Hagrid seemed to notice.

"Hey Penny can stay," he grunted. "She's been 'elping me with Buckbeak.." the gamekeeper proceeded to fill in the other three on everything that had happened. Afterwards Hermione immediately sat down and began sifting through the books.

"I've already looked through them," Estella broke the silence. She clenched her fingers nervously. "I think I'm going to have to go to the library and look."

"Since when do you help Hagrid?" Ron's blunt question echoed across the room.

"Since he wanted my help Ronald," Estella let the words roll off her tongue, surprising everyone with how familiar they sounded. So much had changed since first year. She bit her cheek again before turning toward the door.

"Wait," Hermione called and Estella paused, looking at her old friend questionably. The Gryffindor scanned her before turning. "We may as well go to the library if there's nothing here."

Hagrid beamed. "I can't thank you all enough fer yer help."

Estella stepped outside with a smile as the other three bade Hagrid goodbye and followed her out. She led the way back to the castle, trailing a few steps in front of them.

"It's getting dark," Ron sounded slightly nervous. "Better get back before Black can catch us."

"Don't be ridiculous Ronald," Hermione hissed.

"I still can't believe he's your godfather..." Ron trailed off as the group froze. Estella slowly turned around.

Hermione looked frantic, trying to think of an excuse. "What he meant was.."

"It's okay," Harry spoke up, gazing at Estella. "She knows."

"What?" Hermione gaped. "How?"

"She was with us at Hogsmeade," Harry finished before starting forward again, this time ahead of them all.

Hermione's eyes widened as she made the connection. "Why didn't you tell us sooner?" she exclaimed, hurrying to catch up with Harry in the castle.

Ron frowned at Estella before his mouth opened. "Wait. You were under the bloody cloak!"

Estella sighed and nodded before she turned the corner to the dungeons, she desperately needed a nap and to escape any accusations from her old friends.