Chapter Four

Steve's POV

I'd been looking out for her for over a year now. Everyday I would pass her to see if she would recognise me, but she never did, it broke my heart.

Fury said that we had to extract her memories to keep her safe from someone. That someone happened to be the one that she was completely in love with. A man from the past.

You see, Jayne, the man and I were all born in the same era, 1918 was the year. She doesn't remember that either, she's can't remember that. We were all best friends but she had always loved the other man, his name was James but we all called him Bucky. He loved her back. When Bucky and I were at war, when Bucky fell off the train and died, Jayne became a wreck and tried to go looking for him, instead running into trouble with Hydra. They captured her, took advantage of her and experimented on her. No one knows what she is capable of now that she has some sort of serum in her veins.

When I was discovered alive, not long after Jayne was found in an old Hydra base, frozen like I was. There were no files for her, they'd all been burnt. Whatever she was capable of was obviously dangerous so they froze her. We brought her back but took all those old memories away so she was no longer dangerous. Later on she began remembering her old life and Bucky, so Fury decided the only thing we could do is give her a new life - he took all of her memories away and gave her new ones.

I look at her now and I wish she could remember. She didn't deserve to have no past.

"So where are the rest of my memories?" She asked Fury.

"They are safe and no you can't have them, we don't know what it will do to you if you have them." He explained to her.

She seemed disheartened at the comment and sat back in her chair, swinging it a little.

"Not even a little more?" She pleaded.

"No." Fury said back.

The conversation ended quickly after that and soon Jayne hopped up and left the room. I followed her.

"Where are you going?" I asked her, running to catch up. She walked really fast.

"I don't remember." She sighed as she spoke. "I want my memories back, Steve."

I looked at her. She was so beautiful. Her long brown curly hair framed her perfect face and she had the most amazing, deep blue eyes that had a black ring around the colour in each. They sparkled all the time. She used to have blonde hair before she was captured by Hydra.

"I know." I said softly to her.

She walked up to me and wrapped her arms around me. I did the same, she was so tiny compared to me. I knew it wasn't fair that she couldn't remember.

"I think you should get some rest, it's been a hell of a day for you." I whispered in her ear.

She nodded and I took her back to her room, the one that she woke up in earlier. I watched her play with the dog tags around her neck. I knew they were Bucky's but I didn't say anything.

"Thanks Steve." She said and she laid down on the cot. "It's good to be back with you."

I smiled and nodded to her. She rolled over and closed her eyes, drifting off slowly. I turned around and left the room. I had to do something for her.

*----------*

Jayne's POV

I listened to Steve as he left. I have had a crap day but being with him always helps me. He's the only family I have when I remembered that Caroline isn't my real mum.

Ten minutes after Steve left I sat up in my cot and swung my legs out to the side so my feet were on the floor. I took my boots off so when I walked around I wouldn't make any noise. I was going to go look for my memories. I want to remember. I loaded my gun and popped in back in the side pocket that I found it in. Taking a deep breath, I stood up and walked out of my room. I let my feet do the walking as I searched for my memories.

Where could they be? I asked myself.

I had no idea where I was. I'd been searching for over an hour and a half and no one had come to stop me so I kept going. I looked in each room, peeping through the lock holes to make sure no one was in there before I went in. I was about to give up when, at the end of one of the hallways, I saw a dim blue light.

Found you I thought in my head, smiling slightly.

I walked up to the door and peeped in. There was one person in there, a man who must be a guard. Still I walked into the room.

"Um, excuse me miss, you need to leave." He snapped at me.

"Oh sorry but Director Fury is looking for you." I lied to him.

"If Fury wanted me he'd come here."

"Well don't say I didn't tell you so. He's in a bad mood at the moment."

He looked at me. I could tell that he didn't want to get on Fury's bad side so he asked me to watch over his guard while he went. I agreed to do so. Meh thanked me and I watched him leave.

The mist was beautiful. It danced and twirled in the glass container. My life was in there and I wanted it so bad. I closed the door and locked it so when Fury figured out what I was doing he couldn't stop me. Sorry guard guy, you'll probably lose your job. I took at fire extinguisher and prepared myself to break the glass.

"Jayne get out here now!" Fury yelled at me.

You got here quickly...

"Jayne don't do this!" I heard Steve yell.

I didn't listen to either of them. They began to try to break down the door so I hit the glass with the extinguisher. The mist tumbled and spewed out of the box, I breathed it in. Everything came back in a flash. It was painful, so painful. I screamed and screamed.

"BUCKY!"

I remembered....