Chapter 5 - The Rewrite in which I Learn Magic from the Duke.

The Duke stared at me in confusion. It was understandable, I suppose. Magic was a rare talent, one that showed up rarely even among the nobility, much less so among the common people. For a servant to have magic talent would be extremely unlikely. I saw his mind working, and he must have remembered that I came from a noble family, although only a Baron, for he asked me quietly.

"You underwent aptitude testing?"

Every noble child in the world underwent aptitude testing. It was a simple test, the child simple placed their hands on a crystal sphere, and if they had any talent for magic, globes of light would appear around them. The number of globes was an indication of their magical power. Among people who did have magical talent, 1-2 orbs was considered average. The prince had 6 orbs appear when he tested, the Duke currently held the record at 10 orbs. When Autumn had attempted, her magic nullifying ability had destroyed the orb.

I nodded. "Yes I underwent testing." Well, I hadn't, but Katrina had before I took over.

He looked confused. "How many orbs?"

"Only five." I shrugged casually, enjoying the expression of shock on his face.

"Did you say five?" His eyes bulged a bit. "How in the world weren't you sent to the academy for training?"

"My family could only afford to send one child to the academy. My brother, the heir, produced 2 orbs. The education was deemed more useful to him."

This was a sore point, one that I had written intentionally when designing Katrina. She was born noble, had great magical ability, but was forced to be a servant to someone else. Thus her arrogance and determination to take down the protagonist. She always felt she was better than Autumn, and couldn't stand being looked down on.

The Duke didn't let it go, "But still, with that kind of ability..."

"Ability matters little if no one values it enough to nurture it with training." I shrugged again, "It was considered more valuable as the third daughter to be here as a lady's maid, to make connections that would benefit my family."

He looked upset. "They sacrificed you, for their own gain."

"Yes, they did."

"Why aren't you angry?"

I met his disturbed gaze with my own calm one. "Why should I be? This is the world we live in. My role was to be sacrificed to benefit others, yes, but I am alive, safe and well fed. The fact that I can be such is dependent on the sacrifices of many others." I stepped closer, wanting to convey this clearly. "No kingdom can be safe without sacrifice. Many will give their lives and well being so that we can live in peace. If they are willing to give up so much for me, what right do I have to complain about the little that is expected of me?"

"B-but..."

I smiled, patting his shoulder. "You will have to make many hard decisions in the future, as His Highness's advisor. You will make sacrifices, and ask others to make sacrifices in your stead. It will not be easy. It will not be kind or considerate. Sacrifice is painful. But it is also necessary. The important thing is that you face this honestly, and work hard so that we can continue this time of peace. If you cannot do this, I suggest you get out while you still can, and leave your position to someone who can do so with a clear conscience."

Once I finished, he stared at me silently, the quiet stretching out for an uncomfortable amount of time.

"Somehow ... I think you are an amazing person."

I smiled. "Thanks. Your Grace isn't bad either."

He sighed. "You might as well call me James, at least in private. After all, I'm going to be your teacher from now on." His grin was deadly. I had to look away to calm my heart.