06 | day 28

[ dedicated to seeokjin as a thank you for reading my works!! thank you for being so kind and supportive you have no idea how much it picks up my day <3 ]

WARNING: chapter contains sexual content 

WARNING: viewer's discretion severely advised - this is the video that made me realize that, one day, i would become a hard stan

If the talent show brought people together, capture the flag tore campers and counselors apart. For an entire afternoon, friends became foes, lovers became haters, and siblings became strangers. No feeling could match the one that came with looking across the dining hall once teams were decided.

In the lull of the morning, only one thing could be heard: the sound of ties being severed.

Employees at Camp Wakatata took capture the flag seriously. The night before was, of all summer nights, the most taxing. With the management team split down the middle, Jin and Namjoon on one side and Hoseok and Yoongi on the other, it was up to them to hide the flags and set up traps by the next morning. The first set of the counselors worked to get enough water balloons and water guns filled. The second set mixed the war paints to tattoo their bodies with. The third and final batch of counselors were in charge of coming up with a plan of attack.

The rules to capture the flag were simple: cross the river bank, avoid the opposite team, find the flag, make it back. With the wooded area limited and the number of campers abundant, finding the flag was never difficult. The management team was only so creative and they had a habit of alternating between two flag locations. Crossing the river unnoticed wasn't difficult either. The summer dampness was kind to the trees - the leaves stayed soft under weight, flattening instead of crackling under pressure.

The most difficult part of capture the flag was getting past the flag's guard. Whether they were a camper or a counselor, the flag's guard was the most cutthroat member on the team. Their eyes zeroed in on all directions, scanning the distances, and they bounced on the balls of their feet, ready for a chase - anticipating the chase.

The guard was sharp, fists balling at their sides whenever they heard a twig snap in half. They were fast, ducking under branches and leaping over roots at the first sight of a stranger. They were stealthy, hiding in, under, and around trees for the first attack. The flag's guard didn't make mistakes; they waited for mistakes to be made.

And since his first year at camp, Jungkook was appointed as flag's guard on whichever team was lucky enough to have him. He beat out the track stars and the wrestlers; the cross-country runners and the weightlifters. Because even if some of the other campers were bigger, faster, and stronger than him, nobody hated losing more than Jungkook did. That sense of competition went unmatched by the other athletes.

But even Jungkook had a weakness and for the first time, someone else knew what that weakness was. For the first time since he'd joined the camp, Jungkook and his weakness weren't on the same team.

Crimson hair tucked under a baseball cap and cheeks streaked with blue paint, Kim Taehyung smiled to himself. He had no interest in playing the game for what it was; the only thing - or person, for that matter - he'd be playing was Jungkook. Though Taehyung didn't mind losing, he also wouldn't give away a victory if he knew exactly how to take it. And with Jungkook on his hit list for leaving him with blue balls the week before, Taehyung almost liked the idea of deceiving Jungkook.