four.

This might be my longest chapter ever. 4200+ words! Sorry for the delay. But I'm also not sorry bc I'm a senior and college and senior level classes are kicking my butt and I just needed to focus on them. 

Enjoy

four. 

evelyn.

Once again, I awoke to Ma bathing me. And like last time, my wrists were bound. Though I couldn't be upset. After attacking and injuring the King, I should have been killed. "Hey, sweetie pie," Ma said gently, patting my head. "You feeling okay?"

"No. I think I've got a cold," I muttered, leaning my forehead against the tub wall. There was a pressure in my head, similar to one you receive just before getting a head-cold. It felt like a heavy congestion was weighing down my sinuses.

The kind woman laughed lightheartedly, pulling my hair up into a loose ponytail so it didn't get too wet. "That is what happens when you spend hours hiding in the rain," she claimed.

The memory made me flush in embarrassment and I groaned. "I don't know what came over me."

"The King scared you half to death. Fear does strange things to us. It isn't anything to be ashamed of."

Sighing, I wagged my head. "Why aren't I in the cells?" I tested.

Ma poured warm water over my shoulders and my senses were overwhelmed with the smell of lavender. My eyes fluttered closed as I inhaled deeply. "Why would you be there?" Ma responded.

"I attacked a member of the Royal Family, the King. That should be the penalty, if not immediate death."

The tub water started to drain and I waved Ma off politely when she tried to get my towel for me. Though I did let her release my wrists from their binds, which I assumed was used more to keep me upright when unconscious than to keep me from lashing out or escaping. I wrapped the warm fabric around me before proceeding to step out of the tub and onto a fuzzy bath mat, drying my feet.

"The King has taken full responsibility for what happened. As well as Chris, his Beta, who startled you by telling you to run. You had nothing more than a natural reaction to the situation, dear," Malia explained sincerely. "He truly isn't mad at all. If anything, he is concerned for you. Which brings us to our next task, dressing you for lunch with the King."

My heart stopped and I choked on air. I couldn't bear to see him, not after what I had done. "I can't," I squeaked.

Ma sighed impatiently. "You can and you will. There's nothing to be afraid of."

"There is everything to be afraid of!" I snapped. "You didn't see him last night. His-his wolf took over and was in total control. If Beta hadn't stepped in, it would have killed me."

Malia gave me a funny look, as if she was amused by my lack of knowledge but startled as to why I was so fearful. "Evelyn, that is as far from the truth as possible. This is why you need to see Alexander, so he can explain his wolf to you."

"And what am I supposed to say in regards to attacking him last night? I lost my mind. Surely he'll see me and be reminded of the crime I committed," I added, grabbing a tissue to wipe at my runny nose.

Ma ignored me and strolled over to the closet, throwing a black sports bra and simple black underwear at me before laying out a knit, cream sweater on the bed followed by a deep maroon skirt and black tights. "Get dressed, I'll be waiting."

"I'll change, but I'm not seeing him."

The usually gentle woman shook her head in annoyance and all but stomped out of the room. I quickly put on the outfit, thankful for the extra warmth it provided. I dug through the fully stocked closet for a pair of shoes, boots preferably. Just as I had some ankle boots on, the door to the bedroom opened.