chapter 7 - band name

-

"so, uhm, my name is josh... and i play the drums. sometimes", a tiny but rather bulky guy tells them and grins awkwardly. "and i haven't been in a band before because, well, i don't know?"
niall nods and pats josh's shoulder. "it's okay, neither have we. right?"
zayn and harry agree.
"i've been a solo artist til recently", zayn says and shrugs. "but being in a band sounds nice"

niall smiles brightly. "it does sound nice! and now we're complete, yes? zayn, guitar. liam, bass. josh, drums. me, also guitar and harry... the vocals!"
"or the triangle, doesn't matter!", harry is quick to add, but niall's having none of that.
"i might've been drunk at karaoke, but i'm sure you've sounded like an angel come to earth", he says and hits harry's cheek lightly. "don't bring yourself down, harold!"

and harry can't, because niall's eyes are fierce and he's wearing his yellow - canary-coloured - coat again, which just has something about it, harry can't quite put his finger on it.

"and what am i gonna do?", louis pipes in. "i can play the piano a little"
"well", niall thinks out loud. "we're gonna need a manager after all..."
"yeah!", liam says. "and we own a van, don't we, lou? the scooby doo one? that could be our band van!"

"oh my god", harry shakes his head. "i haven't ever had this much luck in my whole entire life, this has to be a dream or something"
"no it hasn't! i'm irish!", niall grins and cuffs harry into the shoulder. "this band thing is gonna be amazing and we're gonna get rich and famous!"

"right", louis says, warily. "not so sure about that but we could give it a try... none of us has anything better to do, am i seeing this correctly?"
nodding. "not even you josh?"
"i mean i'm working at the local grocery store but... i'm up to get wild!", josh replies and fistbumps the air. "let's do this!"

general humming.

"what are your names, though? i know liam and louis, but you three are?", josh asks.
"i'm niall", niall answers. "that's harry", he points at harry. "and that's zayn", he points at zayn.
"nice to meet you all!"

-

liam and louis' van looks exactly like the mystery machine out of the scooby doo comics or tv show. harry never watched or read any of it, but it's just a thing to know, he guesses. how very impressive, though, harry thinks, and smiles. if they're not gonna get famous for their music, they sure as hell are gonna get popular for driving around in a green, orange and blue van, attracting all the attention.

"where are we gonna put our bikes, though?", harry wonders as they stand in front of the car.
"i think my dad has this thing you can put on your car for bikes", liam says. "aaah, yes", louis shouts and pats the side of the van. "we could ask him if we can use it! maybe we're gonna need those bikes again... even though yours is pink, harry. why is it pink?"

"well", harry shrugs. "scars of time, i guess"
"ah", "right". no further questions. "it used to be red". none of the others care.

-

later on, they're sitting in the band van, opposite of each other, harry next to niall. of course. where else would he sit? louis sits directly across from niall and has his feet propped up on niall's knees, who doesn't seem to mind because he's talking vividly to josh.

harry has niall's yellow coat on his lap and resists the temptation to smell on it. zayn throws him glances, something he probably won't stop anytime soon. they both know they're fucked and they both don't care.

"we're gonna need a name for the band", zayn says at one point and the others agree.
"how about niall and the potatoes?!", niall suggests and smiles widely. groans.
"definitely not, that's horrible"
"well, sorry, do you have a better idea?", niall huffs and pushes louis' feet off his knees. finally.