Ch.21 ~ More Than Enough

Mikey parked. Well, technically he slammed on the breaks and nearly flipped the car over, but parking nonetheless. He left the car, everyone else following suit. Mikey was scared out of his boots and he wasn't even wearing boots. What would everyone think when he brings a drac who is still in uniform to their secret base?

He took a deep breath. Pete slipped his hand into Mikey's, who hid it behind his back. His little girl burst through the door, giving no choice but for Mikey and Pete to follow.

"Hey!" Frank cheered, "She's found her way back!"

Everybody crowded around her, hugging up on her and making sure she was out of harm.

"You're welcome," Mikey rolled his eyes sarcastically.

"You got her?" Gerard asked, nobody looking up at him.

"Well duh," Mikey replied, insulted with how surprised he seemed.

"Who's your friend?" Ray asked, everybody's eyes landing on Mikey and Pete.

Mikey took a deep breath, "My drac friend I told you about."

Silence drew across the room. Pete rested his head on Mikey's shoulder, squeezing his hand.

"Drac?" Gerard asked, breaking the silence.

"Yup, met in the care unit," Mikey replied.

The silence turned more awkward and Mikey already knew Pete hated awkward silences. Normal comfortable silence was fine to Pete, but awkward silences were his enemy.

"I saved his life too," Pete boasted.

"A drac saved your life?" Frank asked as if he was joking. He even stifled a laugh.

"Yes," Mikey replied, "Killed the drac that... uh... That killed Lindsey."

Even more silence drew the room.

"Lindsey... Lindsey's dead?" Gerard asked.

Mikey nodded. Everyone looked around the room at eachother. Their little girl smiled as everyone stared at eachother, having no clue what death truly was yet.

Mikey's chest was heavy. He leaned against Pete. What were they exactly? Were they together or just best friends that kiss and hold hands? They never really talked about it. For all he knew that kiss might have never happened. He might've dreamt it. Afterall, it was too good to be true.

"It's - uh - it's my fault," Mikey mumbled.

"No, he froze and thinks he could've stopped it," Pete replied.

"I could've!" Mikey repeated. There is no doubt in his mind that he could've prevented this all from happening starting from the moment he agreed to head to the city and give Lynz the wheel. He should've driven them back home. She could've still been here and the rest of the gang would've gotten their little girl out.

Nobody spoke. Nobody looked at anyone. It was as if everybody was stuck in their own bubbles, away from eachother and the real world. 

After a few moments, Gerard stood up.

"I'm going for a drive," He said.

"I'll come with," Frank replied.

"No," Gerard said, stopping Frank in his tracks. "I need to be alone."

Mikey was the only person who knew about Gerard's crush on Lindsey. He had it since they met when he was seventeen, but once Frank started growing up and actually shooting dracs and breaking out of his shell, Gerard started leaning Frank's way. It would kill Mikey to ever tell Gerard about Lindsey's feelings. He knew Gerard would probably drive away and never come back if he ever found out.