Chapter 1

SOPHIE ELIZABETH FOSTER IS UNMATCHABLE

"W-What? What does that mean?" Sophie squeaked. She was feeling all of the emotions at once but surprise was definitely the dominant one. Juji and Brisa huddled over their screens, blocking her view of the five words that changed everything. She couldn't be matched. It was impossible. She wasn't sure if she believed it. She knew she was different but this........ this would change her life. She told herself to stop being so negative, that she wasn't ready for a serious relationship. Then she thought about Fitz; This would break him. They would have to end... whatever it was that they had. Their friendship would never be the same. And to top it all off, they could never be Cognates.
She would no longer be 'the girl who was taken' she would be 'unmatchable'. She could practically already hear Stina laughing at her when she heard the news, but this time she wouldn't have a comeback. She would never have anything, ever again. Her friends would leave her and the world would be turned against her.

"Sophie! Sophie, please wake up you're scaring us!" Sophie heard a faint female voice cutting through the blaring thoughts of self-deprecation. She recognized the voice but she couldn't quite face it. Not yet. She traveled into her mind until she found a safe little nook where she was happy and carefree. The thoughts couldn't get to her there. She basked in the rare feeling of having nothing to worry about. But then, she heard another voice. It was male this time. "Fost- Sophie, please wake up!" She heard him say. The voice brought her happiness. She twisted it and molded it until it was a shield. A force protecting her from herself. "It's going to be okay..." She heard the same distinct voice say, among sobbing. She used the voice as a ladder. She latched onto it and it pulled her up, up, up into consciousness, until she found herself staring into a big beautiful pair of ice blue eyes.

"Sophie!" Keefe said joyfully. "You're awake." She was speechless until about five seconds later when she grabbed him and hugged him tightly. "Don't worry 'bout me Soph, breathings overrated." She pulled back and blushed bright red. "Sorry..." She mumbled. Keefe just smirked. "Where's Fitz?" She asked. And for a moment, just a moment, his face fell but his smirk returned a second later in full force even though some hurt remained in his eyes. "I'm sorry, that was rude..." She said looking away.

"No, it's fine I get it. I don't want to get in between your guys relationship." He said it very drawn out like it was one long sigh. "It's not like we'll be able to even have a relationship anymore." She said realizing how whine-y she sounded but she felt better saying it so she didn't really care. "What happened did you guys have a fight?" He asked, clearly oblivious.

"Did Edaline really not tell you?"

"Not tell me what?"

"I went to the matchmakers earlier today and...." Her voice faded out.

"And......"

"Well, apparently I'm unmatchable."

"What.." He said, clearly not understanding.

"I can't be matched, Keefe, it's impossible." Sophie said, now fighting back tears.

He was confused for another moment until understanding hit him, hard.

"WHAT!!! HOW COULD THEY DO THIS TO YOU!?!"

"Keefe, calm down I'm not worth it..."

His expression softened.

"Sophie, you are the only thing that's worth it..."

"What?" She asked asked softly, in awe and confused.

"You are the only thing that has been keeping me from breaking. You are the only reason that I get up in the morning. Sophie, I love you."

And right then, and there, Sophie fainted.

A/N: This was a pretty short chapter but we figured it was the perfect time to leave off so............    Muahahahaha!

Love, C.B. 123