Chapter 11

The days lapsed so quickly. It had been three weeks without so much as a run in with Liam. Jasmine figured he would've had to have gone shopping at some point, yet the only grocery store in town was free of him. The convenient and dollar stores were also on the clear list. She considered that he must not be staying in town. Until one afternoon, David called and asked that she stop at Berkits and grab some produce that hadn't come in with the morning's delivery.

Jasmine perched the basket in the crook of her elbow as she searched through the produce. David had planned on making soup later in the week and the delivery was short a few items. She was looking at the celery and carrots when a hushed voice struck her to the core. She slowly glanced over her shoulder as she placed the bagged celery in the basket. Liam was walking away to aisle seven, and his mother was watching him go. She turned back to Jasmine and forced a smile when they locked gazes.

"Hello, Sweetie," the older woman spoke just as soft as Jasmine remembered. She rolled the cart closer to Jasmine but pretended to examine lettuce. "I heard you were a workaholic these days."

"It's actually a work errand," Jasmine tried to speak just as softly. She could feel her voice tighten; her chest tighten. She frowned inwardly. This is his doing. Had it not been for him, she would be able to look this woman in the eyes and cheerfully converse with her. "My boss, wants to make soup but the delivery was screwed up, and here I am."

"It's nice of you to do that." Her eyes sparked with the same color of Liam's. Although, there was something else. Maybe it was sincerity, or admiration. Then it hit her. She always had that look right before she said something that made someone stop and reconsider everything.

"How long do we have before Liam starts doing laps," Jasmine asked as she inspected the onions.

"He's already started doing them." Jasmine hung her head as she stifled a laugh. "When are you two going to work this shit out?"

"There isn't anything to work out, Mrs. Nelson," Jasmine shrugged.

"How long have you been telling yourself that one?" Looking back at the woman, she lost her words. "You two. You used to cause so much trouble whenever you were within spitting range of each other. Now, you can't even be in the supermarket together. It's a small town, Honey, with only so many places to hide. You know that better than he does."

A chill crept up her spine. Even without saying anything about it, Jasmine allowed the floodgates of her memory to burst open. The older woman tenderly squeezed Jasmine's forearm before leaving her in her transfixed state.

Jasmine's gaze followed the woman for a few seconds. She had always treated Jasmine like a part of the family, one of her own. After Liam left town, their relationship had become another awkward piece of history. Guilt swept through each time she ran into Liam's mother around town. It wasn't fair to either of them.

"Can I help you find something?" Jasmine looked at the boy wearing a yellow polo and green apron.

"I think I'm good. Thankyou," Jasmine couldn't get all the words out, but managed to force a smile. Shequickly walked to a checkout station and hurried to work.

**~~**

The morning sun had already risen as Jasmine turned on to yet another back road. Each time she made this particular trip, a wave of joy washed over her. This time, however, she could figure out what she was feeling. Several ran through her brain. Nerves ate at her stomach, stupidity slammed into her chest and regret was filling what was left of the emptiness in her head.

She held her breath as she approached the entrance to the driveway. Inching forward she noted that the horrid beat up truck wasn't in sight and she turned in. She let out her breath and smiled as she noted the red sedan was parked between the house and barn. Parking her car beside it, Jasmine stepped out the car a listened the familiar sounds.

The sounds of the horses, the trees moving with the wind and the soft humming of Mrs. Nelson as she left the barn. She caught sight of Jasmine and froze to shield her eyes. A smile took up most of her face when Jasmine became visible. She waved at Jasmine, beckoning her to come closer, "Hello, Sweetheart."

"Hi, Mrs. Nelson."

"When will you start calling me Sarah? It has been too long of Mrs. Nelson. Now please, give this old bird one little pleasure," Sarah replied, opening her arms. Jasmine fell into them as was their routine.

"Whatever you want, Sarah," Jasmine smiled.

"Thank you," Sarah guided them to the house, "What do you say to a nice cup of iced tea?"

"Can it be sweet tea," Jasmine asked, opening the side door for her.

"This visit alone will makeit sweet."