Chapter 49

Dear Jasmine,

From the night I met you, I knew you were going to change my world. You were so timid, and shy as you tried to hide the fact that you had never been to a party. Your brown hair kept falling to hide those beautiful green eyes.

We talked for what felt like hours. You never moved closer, but you relaxed with every topic we talked about. The sassy way you pointed your finger when you tried to prove your point. I had quickly learned you were nothing like what I thought. You weren't some wallflower, waiting for something better. You were independent and filled with so much to say. I would have listened to every single word.

It wasn't until I showed up at home after a weekend of training to find you dancing around the kitchen at my mom's house. You were cooking while you danced to George Strait. You had on a pair my sweatpants with the pant legs rolled up because they were too long. That was when I admitted to myself that you were the girl I wanted in my life. You were never afraid to make yourself at home, even with my family around.

My mom knew too. She would always get this smile that shouted every little feeling I fought. She wasn't shy about it either. There were so many conversations about timing, and that she needed to keep her thoughts to herself. In the end, I guess she was right. We would have been something people would compare themselves to. We fit together so well, and as I write this it's already killing me.

Remember, Jazz, you are so much stronger than you give yourself credit for. You keep yourself so guarded that it makes me sad thinking about what this will do to you. I never intended to weaken that spark of who you are. You have to get out of bed, dust yourself off and get back to what you do best; help those around you who are suffering too. Show them the light beyond the tunnel. Remind them that this isn't the end of their life. I will be there to help you through it, and them.

And please, go see my mom. She would be much happier seeing you then anyone else right now. Give her one of your amazing hugs that never end. Bring her the letter. Tell her that I knew all along, and she was right.

I love Jasmine Kathleen, and always will.

Private First-Class GarrettJames Olsen