Chapter 12 ● Not A Girl, Not A Boy

I didn't panic for the first hour. I figured eventually they'd realize I was missing and come find me. I had some bubble tea from a nearby stall and looked at all the exhibits. In detail. Twice. Every so often I'd look up my shoulder, trying to spot two tall heads above the crowd, but no dice.

Those bastards didn't forget about me, did they?

By the second hour I started to freak out. What if they did? How the hell was I getting back to Silver Grove? Were taxis trustworthy in Canada? I was sure dad wouldn't mind the fortune I'd have to pay on one if he found out the reason. But then again if he did, he would also learn that I was here to buy a few hundred dollars worth of hockey equipment. For myself. That was not a path I wanted to go down in for as long as I could prevent it.

They couldn't have forgotten me, anyway. I mean, sure, we weren't the best of friends yet or anything, but weren't Canadians supposed to be polite and friendly? Surely this wasn't a mean prank on their side. The idea of losing them was mine, after all.

I sat on the bench surrounded by my bags and twirled the last bubbles at the bottom of my cup, remembering that one time I lost my mom in a department store. I'd been maybe five, dazzled by the rows upon rows of pretty clothes. The racks were by far taller than me and I thought it'd be a good idea to cut through one of them to get to the next row of clothes. Mi mamá couldn't see me and she started panicking, running up and down and calling for the attendants to help her. The whole ordeal lasted maybe less than an hour, and I'd been oblivious. All I'd cared about were the pretty, sparkly dresses that looked like they belonged to a princess. And I'd been a little princess, hadn't I been? Spoiled by my dad's riches, my mom's love and an older brother who pretended not to like me but still defended me from our bully cousins.

She'd found me eventually, tears streaming down her pretty face as her arms came around me. I'd never forget that. Her fear finally radiated into me and I realized I'd had just been about to never see my mommy again. I dissolved into a pool of tears in her arms in the middle of the department store before we headed home. Maybe we'd both been too shocked by the innocent episode, but we never stepped foot in that store again.

I hugged myself now, suddenly cold even though I was wearing thick layers of winter clothes indoors. I felt so alone now. My mom was not going to find me suddenly and hug me to her. I would never see the relief in her face. I would never see her again.

A hand descended on my shoulder and I jumped.

The top of Dean's head faced me as he leaned down, panting.

For a bizarre second I struggled to root myself in reality and shed the memory away. I managed to succeed when he looked up, forehead scrunched up in what looked like worry.

"Were you crying?" he asked.

"No," I said, my voice choked up because I had, in fact, been about to cry. He didn't look like he believed a single word I said. So I changed tactic. I did my best to just look casually annoyed when I asked, "What took you so long?"

"I should be the one asking questions." He straightened himself and took a deep breath. "Where the hell did you go? Also, why are you not picking up your phone? This wasn't funny."

I folded my arms, almost thankful that he'd chased away my sadness and replaced it with irritation. I mentally thanked him for being a multi-talented guy that way.

"Do you see me laughing?" My eyes rolled. "I forgot my phone at the hotel."

His shoulders slumped in defeat and he sat down on the bench next to me, stretching his arm across the back and taking out his cellphone with the hand farther from me. He called Pace to tell him he'd found me. I'd never tell him, but I was glowing inside with the knowledge that they'd been worried.