Chapter 3

That night I go to bed dreaming about Sunstruck. Mom had said it was a perfect name and Dad had agreed. I really want to see my golden stallion right now but I can't. Too bad the barn is a few miles away. Otherwise I could sneak out to see him. I look at the clock. It says 2:48 a.m. I should probably try to go back to sleep but I can't. I can't stop thinking about my golden horse. I close my eyes and I am actually able to sleep.

......................................................

I wake up thankful that it is Saturday. I look at the clock to see that it is 9:58. Pretty early for going to sleep at like 2:30. Callie jumps on my bed and I pet her until she curls up and purrs herself to sleep. I get out of bed and go downstairs.

Mom is in the kitchen. She smiles at me as if she knows what I am about to ask. "We're going to the barn right?"

"Yes just give me about ten minutes to get ready. You should go get dressed too." I look down to see I am still wearing the clothes I slept in.

"Can we take Ashley too?"

"Yeah," Mom answers, "If she can come."

I run upstairs to get ready and to text Ashley.

-We're going to see Sunstruck. Do you want to come too or are you doing something else?-

Almost immediately she texts her response. -I'm not doing anything today. Can you pick me up?-

-Yeah we'll be there in about twenty or thirty minutes-

                .................................................................................................

When we get there Ashley and I try not to run to his stall. I'm really excited to ride him.  A happy nicker greets us as soon as we walk inside.  I pat his shiny neck lightly and turn to look at Ashley. "Whoa, if his golden coat and white mane mixed together it would be the same color as your hair," I say. "That's really weird," she says. "But it's true."

After we dropped off Sunstruck yesterday we got tack for him. I lead him out of his stall and clip on his crossties. We brush him until his coat is even shinier (which I didn't know was possible) and then we put on his saddle blanket and saddle. And then his bridle. I climb onto his back and soak in this moment. The first time I've ridden a horse that belonged to me. I tap his sides lightly with my heels and we walk out of the barn.

We ride in the ring and go into a trot. After I know he is warmed up we go into a canter.  We canter for a while when I decide to stop. I call Ashley into the ring. She half walks-half jogs toward us, not wanting to scare him. "What is it?" "Want to ride him?" I ask. Her mouth falls open and she nods her head. I get off and give her the reins. She gets in his saddle and trots him around and then canters him.

The unexplainable electric feeling hits me so hard. Like a 20 foot wave coming from behind. I almost fall over. Thankfully Ashley doesn't see. And thankfully it didn't happen while I was riding. I would have fallen off for sure. I walk into the barn and sit on the bench making sure I can still watch Ashley.

 I suddenly notice Sunstruck bucking! I run out and towards the ring. But when I get there she has him calmed down. "What happened?" "I don't know," she says. He looks really tired. "Let's get him in his stall," I say. She nods and gets off of him. She hands me the reins and I walk him around to cool him down. He lays his head on my shoulder and I hug his neck. Then we head toward his stall.

Suddenly the wave comes back even stronger then before. "Ashley! Can you take him to his stall for me?" I say slightly panicky. "Yeah. Are you ok?"  "I feel a little sick," I answer. Which is partially true. Watching her take him, I sit on the bench and think about this. The feeling could be a problem if it doesn't go away soon.

..............................................