Day 6

"Hey Y/N," Steve greets after knocking softly on your door. He's wearing a pair of black basketball shorts and a white t-shirt. It's a stark difference from the uniform he wears during missions. "I'm going on a hike to -"

"Yes."

Steve's eyebrows shoot up. "Yes? You want to come?"

"That I do, Cap."

He laughs. "Wow, I wasn't expecting you to say yes."

His response makes sense. You have a tendency to be as lazy as possible whenever you get the chance, but not today. Nature is extremely therapeutic. In a job that requires being surrounded by ugliness, it's important to juxtapose everything you have seen with something beautiful. War-torn cities. A sea of flowers. Abandoned buildings. A body of water so clear you can see your reflection in it. Deserted homes. A cascading waterfall. HYDRA facilities. The sun rising through a vast collection of trees.

After questioning whether or not it was worth being an Avenger last night, you are in desperate need of a refresher. What better way to do that than seeing what splendor the world has to offer?

"I'll meet you downstairs?" In place of responding, Steve salutes you. You snort. "You're so lame."

"Am not," he counters, closing the door before you can get another word in.

You're riding the elevator down to the common room when it makes a pit stop a few floors before your destination. When the doors slide open, you're met with the surprised blue gaze of none other than Bucky Barnes. There's no denying the way your heart skips a beat upon seeing him.

"Oh, hey Y/N."

"Hi."

He is dressed startlingly similar to Steve, but you don't think much of it. When he invited you to go on the hike, there was no mention that Bucky was joining you.

"So how'd you sleep?" Bucky asks once the elevator begins its descent once more.

"Well," you respond, unable to ignore how awkward this small talk is. You're used to bantering with Bucky, not this. "You?"

"Alright."

The elevator pings, signaling that you have reached your floor and you're quick to shuffle out as soon as the doors slide open. Bucky is a few steps behind you but he doesn't try to speak to you again. Why did it feel so much easier to talk to him last night?

You plop down on the sofa where Steve is looking over a large map. He's so concentrated that he doesn't bother to acknowledge you, so you bump his shoulder with yours and say, "I'm ready."

He briefly glances over at you, nods and then returns to the task at hand. Some people might be offended by Steve's brusqueness, but it's a trait that you've grown used to. When he's working on something, he's dedicated to it wholeheartedly until the task is complete.

"You're going with Steve?" Disbelief taints Bucky's inquiry. You didn't realize that he had elected to stay in the room.

"That she is," Steve answers, draping his muscular arm over your shoulder, the map he was so intently focused on before is now folded up on the coffee table.

"I want to come too."

"But when I asked you earlier, you said-"

"I know what I said," Bucky interjects. "I changed my mind. I'm coming."

"Why the sudden change of heart Buck?" You hear the challenge in Steve's tone.

"I want to get out of the tower," his best friend snaps back.