Prologue

"All right, kids, it's time for bed.  You've had a long day, and we want you to be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed for your field trip tomorrow, right?  You won't have any fun if you're exhausted."

"But I'm not tired!"

"Me either!"

"I'm not so sure about that.  What are those little dark circles underneath your eyes?"  

"Those are my scars from the wizard battle last night!"

"Wizard battle, huh?  Nice try, kids, but Mom will kill me if I don't put you to bed.  Goodnight, sleep tight, all that stuff.  We'll see you in the morning."

"Dad, wait!  Can't you tell us a bedtime story first?"

"Yeah, tell us a story!  Your stories are awesome!"

"Pretty please!"

"Please please please please please!"

"Okay, okay, settle down.  I'll tell you a story.  Which one do you wanna hear?  The one about the frog queen?"

"Too boring."

"All right, then.  What about the princess with the magical flute?"

"You've told us that one a thousand times, Dad!"

"You're right.  I have."

"Tell us one with wizards and elves and dragons!"

"Yeah!  You haven't told us one of those in forever!"

"Wizards and elves and dragons, huh?  All right, I think I can work with that.  Let's see...."

"Make it a good one, Dad!"

"Oh, trust me, I will.  Have I ever told you the one about the selfish prince who went on a magical and dangerous quest with his royal adviser, his castle mage, and a poor peasant?"

"I don't think so, but it sounds awesome!"

"Tell us!  Tell us!"

"I think you'll enjoy it.  The story begins in a faraway realm, in a magic-filled kingdom called Asturias.  A king and a queen rule over the land, but it's almost time for a new face to take the throne, and who would be a better fit for the job than their very own son and prince?"

"Ooh, what's the prince's name?"

"His name is Brendon Urie, and he is, quite possibly, the most selfish person in all of Asturias."

"Why is he selfish?  I thought princes were supposed to be kind and caring."

"Not this one, son.  You see, Brendon believed the kingdom revolved around him.  He yearned to be king, to finally have a chance to control the land around him.  He didn't care about anything other than power."

"That's lame.  What a sucky prince."

"I know, but this is where the story's roots are.  Without Brendon's selfishness, his quest wouldn't happen."

"What's the quest about, Dad?"

"I'll get there.  Patience is a virtue in this tale."

"Then tell us!"

"Okay, okay.  So as Brendon gets ready for the royal masquerade ball, he meets up with his royal adviser.  His name is Spencer Smith.  He's a kindhearted, intelligent, calm young man, and he always tries to steer Brendon toward the right path.  They also meet up with the castle mage, Jon Walker.  He's not a very good mage, but he tries his best.  Everything goes according to the plan, but then, all of a sudden, the kingdom goes dark."

"What?  Why?"

"You'll see, son, because this is where the real story begins...."

~~~~~

I hope you're all as hyped as I am because I think this is one of the coolest stories I've ever written ooo

Also what better way to spend my 18th birthday than writing fanfiction on Wattpad amirite hahahaha this is what depression looks like

But regardless, I really like this story, and I hope you guys do too.  If you're new to my stories, welcome.  If you've been around for a while, welcome back.  We're all in this depression hole together

If you haven't peeped my little trailer for this story, it's up above!  I worked really hard on it and I think it came out pretty cool :)

Strap in for a wild fantasy ride, my friends.  Hopefully you enjoy as much as I do :)

Love y'all!  Remember to vote/comment/share with your pals! <3