-5-

"We need to talk to you, Ryan.  It's urgent.  The prince's chance at becoming king is at stake."

The bright and optimistic expression that adorned Ryan's face mere moments ago instantly vanished at Spencer's grave words.  He frowned, his grip on the door tightening.  "It is?"  he asked, his voice lowering.  "All right, well, what can I do for you three?"

"May we come inside?"  Spencer requested, nervously glancing over his shoulder, as if someone passing by was going to eavesdrop on them.  "It's a long story, I'm afraid."

The serious and rather frightened expressions the trio showed must have convinced Ryan to let them in.  He stepped aside, opening the door further so they could pass him.  "Yes, of course,"  he said, closing the door once everyone had entered.  "What seems to be the problem?  You all look very troubled."

The warmth from the small fireplace filled the dim room, its crackling and snapping bringing coziness and serenity to the atmosphere.  It was a quaint little room, fur rugs covering the wooden floor, dusty bookshelves lined with ancient books and artifacts, a couple of chairs turned to face the fireplace.  It didn't quite feel like a blacksmith's shop, but a home.  In fact, it was so homely that the trio felt comfortable taking their hoods off.

"My name is Spencer Smith,"  Spencer introduced, pulling his hood down and offering his hand to Ryan, who shook it without hesitation.  "I am the adviser for the royal family."

"I'm Jon Walker,"  Jon chimed in as he took off his own hood, a sly smile decorating his face.  "Royal mage, best one in town.  Master at all things magical."

Brendon rolled his eyes, using every bit of strength he had in him to hold back a frustrated sigh.  Then, he pulled his hood down to join the conversation.

Ryan's eyes instantly widened as the prince of Asturias revealed himself in his home.  "Oh,"  he said softly, fumbling over his own movements, rushing to give him a courteous bow.  "I didn't expect the prince to be with you.  Good morning, Your Highness.  It's an honor to be in your presence."

His gaze locked on the young blacksmith, Brendon nodded once, his arms crossed over his chest.  "We come bearing terrible news, unfortunately.  I do hope you've spared time to listen."

Ryan nodded quickly, his eyes still stretched wide as he glanced among the royal trio.  "Of course,"  he said.  "Whatever I can do to help, I'll gladly do it."

And so, instructing him to take a seat, Spencer began to tell the troubling story from start to finish, just as Brendon had told them the night before.  Ryan listened intently the entire time, nodding along, raising his eyebrows as Spencer explained what happened with the midnight girl.  Not once did he take his gaze off Spencer until the story was over, and then, as Brendon had expected, it was time for all of the burning questions.

"So the Fates want you to journey across Valmead in search of those ruins?"  Ryan asked with a frown, making sure he had understood the tale correctly.  "Why, I wonder?  What does any of that have to do with becoming king?"

"We're not sure,"  Jon replied.  He was leaned against the mantel of the fireplace, his hand on his hip.  "The Fates are some pretty vague ladies."

Now Spencer was the one rolling his eyes, ignoring Jon's comment and turning his attention back to the confused young blacksmith.  "The point is: This oracle woman told the prince to find you.  We're not sure why, but the only thing we do know is that we need you to come with us on this journey.  The Fates must believe you will be an important aspect to it."

Ryan's gaze was clouded with pure confusion, his brow furrowed as he tried to make sense of what he was hearing.  "Why me?"  he wondered aloud.  "I'm nothing special.  I mean, I can make decent swords, maybe some other weapons, too.  I can sort of fight.  But I'm not nearly as good as my father.  Why do the Fates want me?"