Over the Edge

"Just take your time, we don't have much ammo to waste." Rick held his own rifle as he watched Asher raise her gun and look through the scope for a walker to take down. Like Rick told her, she leveled up the crosshairs with the shambling walker's head. Taking a deep breath, she squeezed the trigger and braced herself for the sound of the gun firing the bullet. Despite telling herself that it wasn't going to hurt her, her body still flinched and ruined her shot- the bullet simply ripping through its throat instead of the brain.

"Shit. Sorry." Asher pulled back the bar to eject the empty cartridge and load the next one. Boots clomped on the concrete and the voice of Maggie echoed down the hall.

"What's wrong? Are we under attack?!" Rick shouted back as she took aim at the walker again.

"No, just gun practice for Asher! Nothin to be worried about." Maggie said she'd spread the word so the others wouldn't worry too much and Rick turned back to the yard of walkers. Asher took another deep breath and pulled the trigger again, this time prepared for the sounds and hitting her mark.

"I got it! If you take the loud noise out, it isn't too different from my bow." Rick smiled and ruffled her hair softly.

"Just wait til you start with the handguns, those are a whole different thing than a rifle." Asher nodded and turned to see Carl coming around the corner, probably to talk to his dad.

"Morning, Carl." The boy smiled at her and tipped his hat.

"Morning, Asher. Gun training?" She nodded and handed him her rifle so she could slip by.

"Yep, maybe one day I'll be better than you." Carl and Asher laughed and she excused herself so they could talk in private. She decided to take a quick second and sharpen her sword and knives with the kitchen knife sharpener they found in the cafeteria. As she sharpened her weapons, Glenn sat beside her silently.

"Those are really nice."

"Thanks. I found them in the house I found Meeko. Guess the person who lived there was into blacksmithing. And engineering too, since I got my crossbow there too." The Asian man nodded and bit his lip in thought.

"Hey, maybe when this is all over, you can show us the house. I'm sure we can find a use for whatever weapons and metals they kept in there. If you're not okay with going back you could just mark it off on a map for the rest of us to go clear out." Asher nodded and sheathed her weapons before holding out the sharpener to him, which he took with a thanks and started to sharpen up his own knives.

"Not sure how much would be useful, most of it looked like rejects. But if there's some that'll be of use then I can go back. Sadly, they weren't much for guns and bullets." They shared a laugh and she wandered around looking for something to do, anything to take her mind off the missing Daryl from the group. She found Michonne working out in a cell, Beth not too far off singing to Judith.

"You wouldn't mind a partner, would ya?" The dark woman smiled and motioned for her to join. Asher dropped her weapons at the door and joined her in doing crunches.

"You sure you should be doing all this?" She was meaning since she had gotten shot a few weeks before and that she could reopen the wounds.

"Everyone's been asking me about that, what they think I can or can't do. I'm fine, and I want to prove that to everyone else." Michonne nodded and they did a few more sets before calling it good for the day.

"I was just asking because I know you'll push yourself over the edge for these people. So I'm looking out for you since you won't." Asher smiled and gently hugged the woman in a silent thank you. There were shouts from the lookout post and it caught everyone's attention.

"Daryl's back!" Asher took off for the gate to let him in, Meeko seconds behind her. She stepped out into the courtyard and watched as Carol and Maggie readied to open the gate. But he never got close, his bike stopped just inside the main gates that had been knocked down.

"Why isn't he coming up here? He'll get himself killed out there." Asher took a running start and leapt up on the fence gate, quickly scaling up to the razor wire on top before the walkers or women could pull her down. She caught the flash of someone else with him, a gun in their hand.

"There's someone with him! They've got a gun!" She slipped between the coils of razors and prepared to drop down on the other side, her voice catching the attention of the walkers below so they looked up at her and clawed for her flesh hungrily.

"Asher! Get down! They'll kill you!" Carol slammed against the fence to try and regain the walkers attention, stabbing at the few she earned.

"No!" The blonde girl drew Lostvayne and swung so she cut the skulls of walkers open from ear to ear. The bodies dropped and she prepared to launch.

"Asher! Get back on this side right now!" Glenn's voice caught the walkers' attention and they turned back to the courtyard, giving her the chance to jump and roll out her landing.

"Asher!" Their collective scream caught the attention of the walkers wandering the yard, turning them towards her with a snarl. She twirled her sword in preparation for a slaughter. The girl sliced off heads, cleaved bodies in half, and stabbed her knives through skulls until she left a wake of corpses behind her and she was a mere few feet away from Daryl and the attacker. She could see the gash to the Dixon's forehead and the blood that dripped off his jaw and onto his vest. Asher tilted her head in a silent question to as if he was okay, the man dipping his chin to say he was.

"Well shit, looks like Martinez wasn't full of bullshit after all. You do have a soft spot for this backwoods inbred." Asher growled at the voice. She knew this voice. She hated this voice. He stepped out partially, his smug and catty smirk still pinned across his face like nothing ever changed. Asher sliced down a walker without taking her enraged gaze off of the two men.

"You have some real nerve dragging yer ass out here like this."