Chapter 9 -- The She Mermaid

Lucy summoned Mr. Mohawk, and they departed southwards to Harbour of Hargeon without dilly-dallying. When they arrived at their destination, it was already past midnight. They thanked the horseman, and the latter returned to the Key with a high-pitched neigh. Not far away, three boatmen were playing cards on a table with a missing leg. Two of them wore only singlets and short pants, whereas one had his entire body wrapped in a thick cloak.

Lucy approached them. "Good evening, could anyone of you send us to Galuna Island?"

"Galuna Island? You've got to be kidding me! I'm not going anywhere near it! Even pirates avoid it!"

"I don't even want to hear that name! That island is a taboo among people of this port!"

Only the boatman in the thick cloak remained silent, but no one seemed to care about it. 

Natsu let out a broad grin. "We'll swim there, Lucy! Sounds like a good idea to me."

"No way! How could you possibly swim that far?" Lucy retorted.

She was about to argue with Natsu when she heard merry singing not far away. That kind of tune that was of equal parts to divinity and spine-tingling. Natsu and Happy's ears tweaked in alertness too. As the Fairy Tail's mages no longer paid attention to them, the boatmen snorted and returned to their game. Didn't the boatmen hear the singing? Lucy exchanged glances with her comrades, and for the first time of the day, they reached an agreement.

They followed the sound of music and had soon arrived at a beach, where two ladies were sitting on a boulder. The lady with her blue hair wove into a long gleaming braid down to the side of her waist was blowing a flute. Her skin was a burnished gold under the moonlight, which made her look like a goddess. The other lady with straight, blond shoulder-length hair was playing her harp. Both of them had their eyes closed as they relaxed into the music.

The Trio took a few steps closer. Suddenly, Natsu exclaimed, "Whoa, she's so beautiful!"

Lucy followed the direction where Natsu's finger was pointing and gasped when she realized the blue-haired lady was actually a mermaid. She donned on a crystal tiara that made her look majestic. Blue seashells brimming with semi-translucent pearls covered her bosoms.

"Indeed, I've never seen a lady as beautiful as her." Lucy agreed with misty eyes.

Whereas the blond lady next to her look akin to a human. She wore a white silk shawl over her head, and her silk evening dress draped from her chest to her sheen, sleek and smooth.

A sudden pop came from behind Lucy, and Virgo appeared in her usual maid attire. In her hand was a toothbrush with a tube of white cream on it. "Princess," she gave a light bow before continuing, "I was polishing your gift, when Brother Cancer insisted me to ask for your permission to summon him. He said he must say Hello to his idol."

"Ah... Well." Lucy chanted and the Gate of Cancer opened.

Without greeting Lucy, Cancer bolted towards the blue-haired lady; a bouquet of red roses in his hands. As he reached her, he knelt and thrust the flower to her. "My fair Lady Aquarius, I've been longing to meet you, but I'd never seen you in our world."

"She's the ever-hard-to-get Aquarius?" Lucy let out a gasp that sounded like the croak of a frog.

Aquarius grimaced at the scent of the roses, and her eyes flung open. They turned to blue slits as she howled, "How dare you! We're almost reaching to the chorus!" With a massive force, she smashed the flower. It landed in front of Natsu, bald, as the petals had all fallen off.

"Aquarius..."

Cancer ran back, sobbing, and planted his head onto Virgo's shoulder. Virgo patted it gently.