Chapter 15: Foothills (Higher Ground)

Horseshoe Hike Day 1 - Kato Pakna

The full complement of fifteen teams, eighty teenagers in all, eventually finally lined up at the start point, sixty minutes later than planned. The rest of the teams had been waiting, frustrated, prevented from starting until the nights events had been addressed, if not resolved.

Another group of twenty or so members of various support teams, many in uniform, were also present at the start point. They formed the wider hike support team and each year did an excellent job marshalling the teams, manning checkpoints, providing first aid, logistics, transport and rescue if required. They also prepared the pre-planned camp sites for the duration of the hike. Five of the six nights would be spent sleeping in tents carried by the teams but on the fourth night all the hikers would spend the night in relative luxury on the floor of basic wood and concrete cabins at the RAF Troodos Mountain Camp.

As a family the Berresfords had spent several weeks over the years at the mountain top camp in the lodges, using it as base for skiing in the winter or to take a break in the relative cool of the mountains during the long hot Cyprus summers.

In a few short months Alex and his family would once more have good reason to be thankful for the refuge and security provided by the small mountain top camp.

* * *

By the end of a long but routine first day, the teams had safely covered nearly 15 miles. Moving at vastly differing paces, the teams had quickly spread out, though in the main they travelled along a common route. The first checkpoint, half way through the day, was positioned next to an old disused sheep fold and had brought several teams together.

As with virtually all firsts on day one the initial check-in and log book stamping process had been greeted with ridiculous enthusiasm. Team members proudly looking down at their first official stamp – Sheep Fold - a truly profound moment. The first night campsite was reached by descending a short but steep downhill rocky track. The campsite being set amongst the old and cut off trees of a medium sized olive grove on the outskirts of a small village called Kato, or lower, Pakna. The olive trees providing ample shade for the teams to pitch tents as they filtered in over a two or three hour period late afternoon.

It was not a race. That fact had been endlessly and vigorously drummed home by the hike organisers, but even so teenage boys are naturally competitive and during long days with miles between checkpoints, the organising team had only limited control. As a result, several teams adopted a spirited if not quite aggressive stance, assiduously noting their 'position' at each interim checkpoint as well their finishing position and that of their closest 'competitors' each day. This aspect of the hike was more important to some teams than others. The boarders'; clearly one of the keenest and best prepared teams, finished 2nd of the sixteen teams on day one. 

In this area and in common with several other teams, including all the girls' teams, the two BG Teams were laid back if not blasé. They deliberately took the opposite approach, adopting a cool and contemptuous attitude to anyone who actually took it that seriously. Of course they also knew their hiking skills, ability and drive to keep up a fast pace through long tough days was also somewhat lacking.

So it was no surprise that the two BG teams finished late in the afternoon just before 6pm in 13th and 14th positions. As it happened, Alex's team finished just five minutes after Kate's girls team from Akrotiri. The two teams dumped their rucksacks, engaging in light-hearted and friendly banter while nearby the team leaders trudged over to stand in line to complete the days' final checkpoint administration. As other team members chatted casually, Alex used the opportunity to sidle nonchalantly across and sit down near Kate.