Strike Three

As I came to, I could still feel some hints of adrenaline hurdling themselves through my veins. The wood flooring was cold against my hot and throbbing cheek. The hard surface made my entire body ache relentlessly. I felt the lines separating the slats under my palm. It took every bit of strength in my arm to push my body a mere inch from the ground. It was quick to give out and land me right back in a horizontal position.

     'This isn't good,' I thought, trying to move anything I could. 

     I tried to look around the dark room I was in, which was obviously the bar I had originally arrived at. There wasn't any light. My attackers must've turned out the lights and closed the blinds. How inconspicuous... I was glad I was dealing with incompetents 

     Meow meow~

     Meow meow~

     From across the room, I could see my phone light up. I desperately tried to get at least to a seated position, but my body would not budge. I fixated my gaze on the device. There was hope. If I didn't answer, people would be worried. They'd come looking for me, right?

     "Your face is priceless."

     From the shadows, I could see Lucas emerge. He took the phone into his hand. The glow illuminated his crooked grin at a weird and disturbing angle. 

     "Is it?" I snapped, forcing myself finally into a half-seated position. 
     "Yes. Because you know who's calling?" 

     He approached me with the device, crouching in front of me so I could get a better look. My eyes fixated themselves on the bright contact name. My heart dropped.

     "Who is this 'Dae' person? Isn't he the one you chased away? Let's see." Lucas went to answer it.
     "No don't—agh!" I exclaimed, the gut wrenching pain stabbing me again. 
     "Tsk tsk. I told you not to strike out, Yao. Now look at you. You're locked in a bar after a severe beating with your boy-toy calling you. Oh, what's this? He's FaceTiming you now!" Lucas exclaimed maniacally.
     "Go ahead," I mumbled.
     "What was that?"
     "Go ahead, you psycho!" I shouted, glaring at him dangerously.
     "What did you just call me?" Lucas asked.
     "You're psychotic!"
     "You know, you actually may be right." Lucas answered the call.
     "No!" I exclaimed, but got caught up.
     "Laurraine? Laurraine is that you?" 

     I was a deer caught in headlights. There he was, staring at me with those concerned eyes. His sweet voice called out to me, but I couldn't respond. I didn't deserve his worry, his compassion. I didn't want him to see me like this. I didn't want him to look for me. I didn't want him to get hurt from my stupid mistake. 

     "Laurraine Yao!" He exclaimed, but I didn't budge.

     "Laurraine, I think he's getting impatient," Lucas hissed.
     "End the call," I breathed out distractedly. 
     "Laurraine, is there another person there with you? What's going on?" Dae pleaded for an answer.

     I fell out of my trance, a tear running down my cheek. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Lucas's sneer. I slowly shifted my eyes toward him. It took everything I had to hold back the horrible words I wanted to say to him.

     "You know, Yao, I don't think he can see you very well. Let's give him a better look!"

     Lucas nodded toward the bar door, the main room lights suddenly whirring to life. My eyes adjusted to the new exposure and I saw Dae in the screen. His face was twisted like he was confused, his mouth slightly agape. My heart hurdled to my throat. I caught a glimpse of myself in the corner box. I looked completely different covered in blood and bruises. Who knew? Who knew that even I wouldn't be able to recognize the person in the box.