The Wrestler*

It's been a couple years since you'd started attending the local college, and you were pretty happy with the way things were going. You'd managed to find a degree path that appealed to you that meant you weren't horribly bored in class like some of your friends. You were doing well in all of them, having worked your butt off in study groups and tutoring. All in all, it was a pretty decent experience.

However, you were a little bit lonely most nights, as you were a bit too shy to ask anybody out (even though you'd had multiple crushes). There was one in particular who made your heart go pitter-patter simply thinking about him, and that was Dray. You didn't know him personally, but you'd known of him almost since starting classes here. He was intensely popular with virtually everyone.

It's late in the semester, and things are winding down everywhere as both students and teachers get prepared for the long summer ahead. Luckily for you, the college had extended-stay dorms for students who lived out of town so long as you were attending in the fall. You're on your way to the last class (and final) of the day after watching the wrestling team's practice match, when someone calls out behind you.

"Hey, wait up!" A strong, male voice says. You turn, wondering who it might be; they sounded a little familiar. You see a widely grinning dragonman jogging toward you, waving, and you immediately feel your cheeks flush as you freeze solid.

No way, you think to yourself, no way is Dray chasing me down.

Captain of the wrestling team, tall, muscular, and one hell of a nice guy, he was basically everybody's crush on campus, including yours. You'd taken up watching the wrestling team as a hobby since developing that crush, and if you were honest with yourself, it was really only to watch Dray demolish every challenger with the ease only he seemed to have. He was gorgeous, and even though you'd been pining after him for at least the last year, you'd never gotten the courage up to even speak to him. However, as he slows to a stop next to you and his broad shoulders eclipse the sun, you have to face facts that you were going to have to find something to say.

"Uh, hey," you say awkwardly, punching yourself inwardly for not being more clever.

"I was hoping you'd stay after the match," Dray says with a smile. "And lo and behold, you did like always. I've seen you around and really wanted to talk to you."

You blink up at him, idly noticing the silver scales peeking out from the collar of his cut-down shirt. They made such a contrast with the ebony scales that covered the rest of him, and you wondered how far they extended. You blink again, your face heating at the thought, and glance away, fidgeting with your backpack straps.

"Me? Why?"

He looks down at you quizzically. "Why not? You're always at every match, and you tend to hang around until just after the team gets done cleaning up in the locker rooms." He leans down a little, and your heart thumps. "Plus, you're really cute, you know?"

Your mouth drops open, but no words come out. Your arms go limp, and your backpack slips from your shoulder. Smiling softly, he lifts his hand up and brushes your cheek before gently closing your mouth, and he carefully picks up your backpack and slings it over one shoulder.

"Come on, I'll walk you to class," he says, draping a massive arm over your shoulders. Your cheeks burn hotly as he leans close and whispers in your ear, "And on the way, we can discuss where to go on our first date once you get out."

You splutter in response, not even able to form a coherent sentence through your shock, and he grins at your difficulty.

He suddenly steps in front of you, and you collide with his heavy body before you can stop yourself. He catches you in one arm as you stumble, lifting you with that same arm with an ease that sets your heart racing, and chuckles.