The Blue Bull*

It's been a while since you'd moved to the big city, and you were more than exhausted with the 'city life' and just wanted some peace and quiet. You'd expected it to be a change, but you'd never expected the city that never sleeps to not actually let you sleep. 

You often dreamt of the life you'd had in your small hometown, and the much calmer atmosphere.

As luck would have it, at your job one day, a coworker of yours told you about a wonderful little town nearby that they'd spent a bit of time at visiting family.

"I could never get used to living there," they were saying, as you listened raptly. "It's just so crazy quiet all the time, and I just... need the noise, you know?" 

You nodded, but secretly thought to yourself that they were insane for thinking like that. You spent the next half hour listening to their story to get as much details as you could; you were already making plans.

That weekend, you sighed in joy as you finally broke free of the traffic and escaped from the city for the upcoming week. You'd been saving up vacation hours for the last half a year, but you'd never been able to figure out where to go. And since the deadline to use those vacation hours was rapidly approaching, you decided to turn them in all at once and take a week away from the insanity of the city.

However, a bit later...

"What amazing luck," you mutter to yourself as you backtrack for the third time, having missed yet another turn. 

If you didn't know where you were going, you'd never make it there. The number of very specific turns you had to take were really up there. Finally, after about a two-hour drive, you pass the welcome sign on the outskirts of town and sigh happily. The difficult part of the drive was over.

Where you were headed was a charming little bed-and-breakfast on the far side of town. You slow down and look over the clean, bright main street, and already feel yourself relaxing. You make it to the B and B a short few minutes later and go to unpack your luggage from the trunk when the front door opens, and an older woman steps out with a smile on her face.

"Hello, there! We just finished getting your room ready," she says with a laugh. "You've got amazing timing."

"I waste no time starting my vacations," you say with a grin, and she laughs again. As you stoop to pick up your bags, she comes over, fussing at you playfully.

"You can leave those there, honey," she says as she directs your attention to the front door. 

A huge black jackal-looking guy was just stepping through, and you can't help but feel nervous as he comes closer. He's immensely tall and broad-shouldered, and gave off the impression of being displeased by everything. 

"My son, Bransen, can handle those for you," your hostess says, and you look between them in disbelief. How had that happened? You decide it's not the time to ask awkward questions, and instead allow yourself to be steered inside as Bransen easily hefts your luggage.

The older woman introduces herself as Gabrielle, and insists you call her Gabby during your stay. She's sweet and animated, and you have trouble pinning down her age, even with her snow white hair. Bransen walks past as Gabby explains everything that was planned locally for the next few days, and his gold eyes catch yours as he smiles slightly. You got the impression he was happy that his mother had some company.

A little later, when you've gone up to your comfortably furnished room and unpacked, there's a knock at the door. You open it, expecting to see Gabby there, but jump slightly to see the broad form of Bransen taking up the space outside the door. He smiles again, and clears his throat.