(23)"Stars"

Warning, Graphic violence up ahead

"Jerome?" I question in disbelief "what are you doing here?".
"Just visiting for now" he chuckles, smiling at me. For some unknown reason, looking at him in a police uniform, I smile back. Suddenly it occurs to me that I'm in Ed's office and I may as well have trashed it. Paper after paper is scattered across the office, littering the whole floor and covering it like a blanket. Jerome takes a few slow steps forward, stomping on the ground and crouches down. Now at eye level, Jerome looks deep into my eyes and laughs. It wasn't an evil laugh like last time, it was a pity laugh. A 'let's laugh about it or you'll cry' laugh. The noise resonates through the room but never reaches its crescendo. Distracted, I don't notice Jerome now reading the papers.

"Wow, this Edward guy really likes this Kristen girl, might even love her".
"Yeah" I mumble back, frantically collecting the papers in.
"Ahhh" he holds it for a few seconds then a cackle escapes the back of his throat. Deep vermillion gravitates up his face and dissipates at his eyebrows. Tears start to form in the corner of his stunning emerald eyes and a single droplet races down his face at the speed of light.
"You love him" he coughs out, still laughing at.... me I guess? My face starts to turn the same colour but not because I was laughing. I speed up packing the papers into the box. Left to right; left to right; paper to box; paper to box. I continue for a few minutes, ignoring the murderer breathing down my neck until I can't anymore. He had the last sheet.
"Maybe he doesn't hate you after all" he smirks before tossing the sheet and grabbing my hand.

He tugged on my hand until I followed and kept me in a death grip. Sweat started to form and even drip onto my leg, but still Jerome wouldn't let go. He raced through the halls, dragging me along like a cat on a lead, in search of something. Dark cobalt and grey walls sped past me as my feet carried on moving without my body's consent. Upon reaching the main office part of the building, Jerome turns back to me. He takes in a deep breath and smiles a sinister smile. It was aimed at me. For the first time in the last twenty minutes, I actually recognised him. The curve of his lips and the deep set seriousness in his eyes brought back the day he was first brought in. I could see the murderer in front of me and my pulse began to race. My breathing became uneasy. My already high temperature sky rocketed. Suddenly, the ginger man turns and swings the door open.

Gunfire was soaring through the room like shooting stars. Each star travelling at the speed of light through the deep navy sky and prayed upon by many. Except these officers only prayed for one thing; their lives. Bang after crash after pop. Tables were flipped over and officers hid behind them. Even the criminals locked up cursed upon the lunatics that had plagued the GCPD. Thump, thump, thump; my pulse was speeding up and may have even been faster than the bullets boosting through the meteor shower in front.

After scanning the room, my eyes came to a standstill at one person. Edward Nygma. Suddenly, it stopped. My heart stopped. The room became fuzzy and a spotlight appeared on Ed. It was as if he was all my eyes needed. As if he was all my heart needed. He was all I needed. From across the room, he gazed back at me and looked defeated. Without a second thought I tried to race over ; I wanted to console him, protect him, love him. As soon as I took a step, the grip became tighter. Blood vessels were popping and bones were cracking under the pressure Jerome was causing on my hand. As I flipped my face back to the man I was stood with, he leaned in and pressed his lips against my blond curls. Slowly, his breath ticked my ear and made my skin shiver.
"There's no point" he whispered, before retiring his glance to Ed. Edward carried on staring back at me, his dead eyes screamed at me for just standing with the man. Cackling started to radiate from Jerome's body and I could sense his movements without even looking. I could see every breath he took, yet my eyes stayed on Ed.
The world went fuzzy again. Tables started spinning and noises started vibrating through the floorboards. Stars beamed from across the room and soared in every direction. Boiling sensations overtook my hand as the warm sweat carried on secreting from my skin. Each drop began to drip onto the floor as a fraction of the warmth left my fingers. An orange blur smeared through my eyesight and appeared near the Captain's office.

Three shots were fired.

Down they went; one, two, three. Except they didn't.

One:
Ed jumped into my view again and took a bullet for Kristen. I could feel my heart bleeding with his arm as he saved the woman he loved. Groans arose from the corner of the room but were overpowered by strong laughter of the psychos holding the weapons.

Two:
Another star sprung through the dark morning sky and arrived in an officer's chest. A deafening whimper escaped Detective Gordon's mouth as he stepped back. The bullet, now lodged in his bulletproof vest, shone in the dim lighting as Jim found his footing. Eyebrows furrowed, he raises his right hand, index finger on the trigger and is ready to shoot. But he's too late.

Three:
A boom trembled through the dingy hall as the third bullet was shot. Due to its short range, it ripped Captain Essen's stomach open. Even at the other side of the room, I could see the deep scarlet dripping down her chair and onto the floor. Everyone went silent for a second. It was like someone had hit pause. Each and every jaw dropped as we all started to panic.
What was gonna happen? Will any of us get out alive?