If Tomorrow Never Comes ( II )

"Oh, just die already!"

Nora grunted as she reloaded her gun, dropping bullets with her shaking fingers. The monsters wouldn't stop coming and she was barely holding them off as it was.

She dropped behind a fallen table for protection, looking back at them through one of the cracks. Her nerves were kicking in.

She eyed a crate of tinned goods at the other end of the room.

Desperate for food, she had snuck in the back door of a supermarket to scavenge even something. This is when zombie-like creatures came screeching out from under furniture, who growled and moved like rabid animals. The group of settlers she met in Concord mentioned these things called feral ghouls, who's brains were melted by the radiation from the bombs, but she couldn't be sure.

To the side of where she scrambled to load the pistol, one of the creatures crawled out from the bathroom — letting out an inhumane screech and lunging towards her. It's limbs flailed, it's form ran at an impossible speed.

Just as Nora turned to look, the rotting jaw grappled on to her.

The squelch sounded through the aisle of the old store as pain shot up her leg. The ghoul's teeth sunk deep into flesh and muscle. Acting through instinct, she ripped it's head out of her thigh and smashed it against the ground.

Time seemed to speed up. Nora looked down at her leg with dread and had to stop herself from spewing out the roasted mole rat she had fought so hard to kill. Blood seeped out of the wound and she felt completely numb.

She sat in shock for a couple of seconds before grabbing her gun and running for the exit. The adrenaline took over and she didn't dare look back — but knew the creatures were right on her heels.

She slammed the door as soon as she crossed the threshold and hoped to god they couldn't use a handle. This gave her the extra moment she needed to sprint away from the place as far as her legs would go.

After what felt like an eternity, she slowed to a stop and collapsed in an alleyway, legs buckling and head spinning. The ringing in her ears made the world feel like it was closing in.

Her back slid down against the wall until she was just a heap on the ground. The distant cacophony of bullets echoed through the wind and she fought the exhaustion as it lulled her to sleep. Her eyelids began to feel heavy as darkness took over her vision.

She finally let go of the fear and desperation she was plagued with and let herself drift off in the broken streets of old Boston.