Chapter 3

After his exit at the coffee shop Adam had texted me the address to his house and what time to meet. I was now a bit wary of him since my knowledge of his daughter and possible wife/partner. We agreed to meet on Saturday at four thirty and I figured out I could walk the distance to his apartment. It was a breezy day and I found the wind biting my face and hands as I briskly walked to the higher end of town. I wasn't surprised that Adam would live there at all. Now I figured that anything I found out about the man was nothing I could expect anymore. I supposed that I felt a bitter towards him but I guess he just couldn't help it. I felt smug as I thrust my hands deeper in my dark green peacoat.    

  I arrived at the apartment building and had to crane my neck to see the top of it. The reception area was so well decorated unlike my own which had a ratty couch and a phone. I went to the elevators and checked my phone to see what floor it was. It was third from the top so I knew I had quite a long ride ahead of me. The envelope with the 'M' necklace was still in my purse from the last time I had seen him at the coffee shop. I really wanted to clear up the rumours that Lyle had mentioned. I wanted to believe that he was good guy. The sounds of sliding doors snapped me out of my thoughts. He had said it was the first door on the left and I reached for the old fashioned knocker and slapped it against the door a few times. I paused and heard shuffling feet, a sound of something falling to the floor and cursing. I bit back a smile as the deadbolt slid back. Adam opened the door as he rubbed his eyes with the heel of his hand and yawned, standing in nothing but a pair of boxers and one sock. He had a bit more scruff than his usual five o clock shadow and his hands were still taped from what I suspected was last nights fight. 

"Should I leave and come back at a better time?" 

"No, no, it's fine." He leaned against the door sleepily and yawned one more time.

"Is there anything I can go out and get for you in the mean time?"  "Coffee?" He smiled but his voice was thick with sleep.

"Sure. I'll be back soon." I turned as he shut the door.    

I had picked up an Americano for Adam and just a soy latte for myself before I made my way back to his apartment. I had loitered by the small, interesting shops giving him more that enough time to get ready. I arrived back at the apartment and before I had a chance to knock he opened the door. I handed him his coffee and stepped inside. His apartment was very clean and modernistic for a single man. I liked it. It was simple and fresh with a minimalistic air to it. I was actually surprised that this could even be a bachelor pad.I spotted some boxing gloves sticking out of a gym bag that was kicked under a table in the hallway but I didn't say anything. Adam looked freshly showered and handsome in a white button up, sleeves casually rolled up to his elbows. He had gotten rid of the tape around his knuckles and haphazardly slapped on a few bandaids instead. He had a few pans on the stove with what looked like pasta and a thick, rich looking tomato sauce. I noticed that he had a dish towel thrown over the sink so I couldn't see the copious amounts of dirty dishes underneath. I set my bag down one the table where he had thrown my coat.

"Do you need help with anything?" I was tentative and I hope he couldn't see right through me. 

"No. Why don't you go wait out on the balcony and I'll be right out." He put a warm hand on my shoulder and turned back to the pots. I crept through the living room, expecting someone to pop out of the three closed doors to my right. I didn't know who, I just had a feeling. I found the balcony door and shoved it open with my hip. He had a substantial patio set up and I was surprised I hadn't noticed the neat rows of covered walk outs when I had first arrived at the building. There was a small fire pit in the right hand corner with a small wicker love seat. I sat at a table that had two place settings at a small table off to the side. Adam stuck his head outside.