Chapter 1

You need to leave, NOW!" The words resonated in my ears bringing with them a throbbing headache. I pressed onward, running swiftly down the tiny path. It could have passed for a deer trail, but I knew it like the back of my hand. The moon lit my way and, if I didn't know where I was headed, I'd have missed the faint trail that abruptly split off from the main path I'd been traveling on. I darted down the trail and refused to glance behind me. If someone had been watching me, they would have probably thought I was out of my mind the way I was running. A wry grin slipped onto my face and just as quickly, disappeared as I remembered what had happened only a few hours before. I scowled.... I knew he was going to get himself killed. I skidded to a halt as a small cabin emerged out of the glade of the forest.

The cabin was old and appeared to be abandoned. Of course, that had been the idea when we had built it. Ever since the invasion, those of us who had managed to survive, had developed different ways to remain hidden. However, due to recent events, we had needed to....make some changes to the way we concealed our headquarters. After making sure no one was around and watching, I opened the old creaking door and slipped inside.

If anyone had come inside with me, they would have probably run right back out. I have to admit, it looked like a haunted house. Spider webs were everywhere and layers of dust coated the broken furniture. I cursed under my breathe in the ancient tongue. Then I walked into the back room, pulled a book part-way from the shelf. The shelf slid over to the right side revealing a dark passageway. I slipped inside while pulling the book again. The shelf started to move back into place, and anyone one looking at shelf wouldn't have been able to tell that anything had moved at all.

"Lig lasair a bheith ann," I murmured and a small flame appeared flickering above my hand. I padded down the passageway silently yet hurriedly. There was a door at the end and when I came to it, I knocked. Twice, paused, once, paused again, then rapped three times on the door. The door unlocked and opened soundlessly. Inside there was a dimly lit room and I waved my hand and closed it. The flame disappeared.

"Ashilah!" I called out softly, a few moments later and I heard the faint footsteps of her approach, her jet black hair streaming behind her.

"You back," the sixteen year old said happily, "Where is-?"

"He's gone," I cut her off," His sacrifice.... Let it be without value."

A moment of silence passed as Ashilah and I grieved for our lost comrade silently. However, we both knew we had work to do. We needed to continue on, complete the work, the mission, we had started.

"I'm going to my quarters, I'll be back in a few hours." I nodded towards Ashilah as I swept past her, a intent look settled on my face. She nodded meekly and hurried off to continue whatever I had interrupted.

Once I reached the solitude and isolation my quarters provided me, I sat against the wall. I buried my face in my hands and a single tear leaked from my eye. I wiped it away, the tear had almost burned as it had rolled down my cheek. Then I glared. That's quite enough Llyiera! I scolded myself silently. You're 18 now. You've been through enough now to realize it won't get any better. It'll only get worse. Now pick yourself up and get to work!

I got up off the floor and went over to my desk. "Fosgail mo dhuilleag agus tòisich a 'clàradh." My journal appeared and waited to record what I was about to say. " Today was successful... but not without sacrifice." My voice broke as the word, sacrifice, left my lips. I cleared my throat and continued.

"My brave and honourable comrade has fallen. Killed during our mission." I paused and took a deep breath. "Nathan was not only my brother at arms, but he was also one of my closest friends. I will miss him dearly....But even though he is gone, I will continue to press onward. I will complete our goal and bring peace and order back to my planet. The resistance will not fall to ruin! WE WILL SUCCEED!" I flicked my hand outward and to my right, "Clàradh deireannach." The recording ended and my journal disappeared.