Chapter 6

The days passed by slowly. Lord Var'craneck came to visit me almost every day. It was a turning into a routine. He would come in and demand answers, and I would respond with an obvious distaste for the guy. He would say he would break me and get what he wanted, I would defy him and tell him it would never happen. Then he usually tried some form of torture to make me surrender to him. But somehow I always managed to hold up under the pressure. Sometimes I'd be whipped, other times he'd strip most of my clothing off and allow his personal guards to do whatever they wanted to do to me. He let them touch and humiliate me and laughed when I tried to struggle away from them. However, he never let them rape me, which I noted well and was greatful for. Sometimes he would strip me and insert needles into my body. They'd usually have some sort of pain serum in them. Then he'd question me and I'd refuse to cooperate. After the torture session he would leave and allow me some time to recover before he started again. He was barely keeping me alive.

I wish I could use my magic! This is killing me not to be able to use it. Guess you don't realize the importance of something till it's gone. Lord Var'craneck had left me to my miserable state a couple hours before and all I could think about was how much I wanted to end his hideous life. I sat back against the wall, the wailing of the other prisoners was faint. The had put my cell in its own hallway. I was allowed no contact with any other prisoners. My isolation was my only comfort. I could surround myself in the good memories of my people and the fresh air in the mountains and the forest.

The door at the end of the hallway opened and Lord Var'craneck's footsteps approached. That's odd, I usually see him once a day. And he usually has his guards with him. Wonder why he came back, and alone too.. To torture me more?

He stopped at the cell door and unlocked it. Then he shut himself in with me. Turning around slowly he started to take a step toward me but stopped, seemingly unsure of how to approach me. I took the moment to insult him, "Why have you come back, you shitless lizard? You and I both know I won't break any time soon!"

"I know you won't Llyiera, you passed all my tests." His voice quivered and I heard a different voice, not his. One I recognized.

My eyes widened, "Nathan?" He nodded. "But how!? I thought you were dead!" I struggled against the chains, but they held me fast.

He rushed to my side, "Hush, I'll explain everything later. We don't have much time."

I stamped my foot. " No! Tell me now!"

He sighed, "I knew this would happen." He took a step back. Said something in a language I didn't understand and slowly his appearance began to change. The next moment instead of seeing Lord Var'cranneck, Nathan stood in front of me dressed like the dark and evil Lord I had come to loathe.

"H-how is th-this p-possible" I stammered?

"I know its a lot to take in, but I am Nathan and I am also Lord V."

"No! You can't be the same!"

"I am. Look, Have you ever heard of the Legend of the Man Who was Two?"

I stood still, trying to understand what he was saying. The Legend of the Man Who was Two was about a man that was cursed with two men living as one. A good man and an evil man who lived in the same body.

"But that's a legend, a fable! It's not possible! Your just messing with my head!"

"Am I? Llyiera, I wasn't killed on that mission. I changed into Lord Var'cranneck after you left and I went with the invaders as their Lord. The good side of me works with the resistance, with you and your father before you. But Lord V here allied himself with the invaders. Didn't you ever wonder where I was all those times I was gone for days?"