Chapter 8

"I knew you would like it here." Lord Var'cranneck's voice startled me and my head snapped up. He chuckled, "relax girl, I'm not going to hurt you." The way he looked at me made me want to squirm. I squelched the feeling and closed my book.

"Is that all you came to say?" I said in a monotone voice.

"No, but u do look your rank now, Princess Llyiera."

"Don't call me that!" I snapped. I rose from my comfortable position on the couch and stood glaring at him. He stepped close and I could smell a fresh minty scent on him. I tried to take a step back but he pulled me close to him and lifted my chin with his finger. His tongue grazed my neck and I dared not to breathe. I heard him as he whispered into my ear, "I only meant to compliment you." then he pulled away and gestured to the couch, "may I have a seat?"

I nodded, stunned and he sat on the other end of the couch. I placed the book on the table near me. "Now what is it you want to tell me?"

"You certainly are one to get straight to the point, aren't you?" He quipped lazily. I gave him a cold look and started to turn around and walk away.

"Okay, I'll start talking. Just stay a moment and hear me out." he gave in and I paused mid stride. I turned around and raised an eyebrow, "then start talking."

He patted the cushion next to him and I sat down beside him stiffly. "Here, I want you to read this. I got it this morning. It seems the king of the Seractinalia has heard of you. You've made a name for yourself."

I took the scroll he handed to me. As I read it I grew hot with anger. It raged inside me and wanting to burst out but I kept it in check.

To Lord Var'cranneck from his Majesty,

You have done well on this planet assignment. I congratulate you on your many victories. However, I have been informed that you have a found a potential partner. I would like to meet this person. I would like to meet before the Three Moons Festival.

~His Majesty

King Karlvelepsin

I studied the letter in silence. Var'cranneck waited for me to say something but I only rolled up the scroll and handed it back to him. "Well," he questioned, "what do you think?"

"What do you mean 'what do I think?' Its clearly an order calling for a meeting."

"When do you want to leave?" He pressed.

"Once I gather my things together and Deliahna has completed my change of clothes."

He looked mildly surprised. "I thought you'd need more time."

I gave him a sideways look. "I'm assuming you will give me back my weapons. Then I'll get changed, we can go."

He nodded then stood up and stretched. "I suppose I will need to get packed myself then. But I'll warn you, His Royalness isn't as nice as I am. Nathan is apart of me so I can't harm you. But with him," he paused and looked me over meaningfully, "I think you know a royal gets what they want."

I narrowed my eyes and stood up regally. "And because you know that, you know I will win."

"I hope that is the case. For your sake." He walked briskly out the room and I heard him say something to Deliahna. She laughed and then I head the door close. A few moments later Deliahna walked in carrying the newly made clothes.

"Here, try these on. I hope they are to your liking." She handed them to me as I thanked her.

"This is exquisite handy work, thanks Deliahna."