As Time Goes By

As time had gone by, it had gotten easier for Almaria to be a good woman, in multiple ways. She had become a better daughter, helping her father while his woman was sick, taking the children for the day at times. She had become a better woman to her tribe, crafting more beautiful things to earn pay, creating beautiful songs to play. She had especially become a better woman to her man. She had gotten better at providing for him in the way a mans woman should. Cooking, cleaning, creating, pleasing... She had just grown a lot in the short while she had become a woman. 

She woke that morning to the feeling of Jashkib's hand tracing the lining of her face. She stood and held her hand on her stomach. She felt nauseous. She ran to the exit of their home, and fell to the ground, vomiting. Jashkib ran and held her hair behind her head. "My love... What is wrong?"

She stood and wiped her mouth with a rag that Jashkib handed her. "I do not know..."

"This has been happening for days, has it not?"

"Yes my husband..."

"Come. We must go to the medicine man."

"No my husband... I must tend to business..."

"I said we need to see the medicine man. If you are sick, we must help you... I love you... I can't lose you... I won't..."

"Yes my husband." 

They clean up and get ready for the day. Almaria ate quite a bit for breakfast, she had quite the appetite lately. Perhaps she was sick...

They approach the medicine mans tent, and Almaria felt nauseated at the smell of meat cooking close by. The medicine man takes her into the tent and she sits on a mat. He looks at her, asks her about her symptoms, and she answers honestly. 

"So Almaria, one more question... Have you been wanting foods or drinks you do not normally want?"

"Yes, salt... Dr... Am I sick?"

He kind of giggled, but said this with a smile. "No Almaria... Not quite..."

Almaria walked out to her husband, scared look on her face. She hadn't a clue how he would react. "My love, are you ill?"

"No my husband. I... I am with child..."

He stood still a moment. "Ch-Child?"

"Yes." She shed a tear, a happy, yet fearful tear.

He walked over to her, took her in his arms, and held her as she laughed through her tears. "I'm going to have a child... A child of our own..."

Almaria and Jashkib invited their families over for dinner that night. As they arrived, Almaria already had supper on the dinner matt. Jashkib saw them to their spots, and then sat by Almaria. He could see that she was nervous, afraid to tell everyone, afraid they would think it was too soon. 

Everyone ate, and Alamarish smiled. "The food is very good sister."

She forced a smile. "Thank you Alamarish. I am glad you liked it."

"Are you alright daughter?"

"Yes... Or possibly no..." She looked to Jashkib, looking for help. Jashkib took her hand in his, smiling. 

"Tell them my woman..."

"Father, I am with child..."

He jumped up and hugged her. He pulled her into an embrace and cried words of happiness. "Yes my daughter! You are to be a mother! And a good mother at that! You will make myself and your husband proud!"

They sat around the fire that night, Almaria playing her flute, a beautiful song she made called Child Of The Moon. She dedicated it to the creation of her first child. 

A/N: Sorry it's a little short. I felt this was a good chapter ending.