Child Of Different Origins

Almaria woke to the urgent need to urinate. She was almost five months along, and was showing a bit. Her baby bump was decent in size. She got out of bed and went to the restroom. Jashkib built them an out house. They were one of the first in the tribe to have one. Jashkib knocked on the door to the out house. "Love, are you alright?"

"Yes my husband." She opened the door to the out house and exited. She washed her hands in the washing bucket by the out house and started fixing Jashkib a lunch to bring hunting with him. 

"It smells delicious love."

"Thank you my husband. Now go. We must have food for when the baby comes."

"Yes. And while I am gone, go see that young boy who was found during a trip. Make him feel comfortable. See if he wants to come live with us. He is from the lost tribe, the one that perished due to illness. He is one of the few surviving children. All the others have found homes here, he has not yet."

"Yes my husband." She thought a moment. "I will bring him a care basket. With a blanket and jerky, perhaps even a whistle. I will even play him a song..."

"Great idea my love."

Jashkib left as Almaria got ready. She washed up in the river and got dressed in her finest black horse skin dress. She wore jewelry on her neck, hands, and feet. She also wore a beaded headband. She looked beautiful. Hopefully the boy would like her. 

She walked off, bag hanging on her side, basket in hand. She walked toward the medicine mans tent, this is where the boy had been staying. She approached as the medicine man gave her a smile. The boy was sitting on the sands by the ocean. He had a sack in hand and it looked like he was digging by the water for something. 

"Hello..." She smiled. "Do you mind if I sit with you?"

"No, I do not mind... I am searching for clams..."

"Very nice. I cook good clams. You like clams?"

"Yes ma'am." He continued searching, and held up a sack of maybe two dozen fresh clams.

"Wow, that's very good!"

"Thank you."

"I hope you like presents... I brought you some..."

"Really? Oh... You did not have to..."

"I wanted to. Here. Take this." She hands him the basket, and he takes out the items one by one. First the blanket, then the sack of jerky, then the tiny pouch of coins for him to spend as he wished, and finally, she played him a few songs. 

"Thank you."

"You are very welcome. May I ask you something?"

"Yes."

"What do you want?"

"What do you mean?"

"Do you want a home? A family? One to love you?"

"Yes, but no one here wants me. I am from another tribe. I am useless here..."

"Do not say that! You are not useless!"

"I am sorry ma'am. That is just how I feel."

"I understand completely. But you must believe in yourself... My husband and I wish to take you home with us..."

"Forever?"

"Yes."

"So... You like me...?"

"Of course I like you. You seem like a very nice boy."

"Alright... You can take me to your home..."

"Oh wonderful! You will not be disappointed! You will love it at your new home!"

"When can we go?"

"Right now if you like."

"Okay Mother. Umm... I mean... Is it okay I call you Mother?"

She smiled, and caught the tears swelling up in her eyes. "Yes. That is perfectly fine with me."

"And may I call your husband father?"

"He would love that Calazaus."

"May we go home mother?"

"Yes my child. Let us go home."

They sit by the table, waiting for Jashkib to be home. When they hear footsteps outside the home, they stand and wait for Jashkib to enter. He enters and sees Calazaus. He drops the sheep and four rabbits and shakes the boys hand.

"Welcome home Calazaus."

"Thank you Father. Did you have a good hunt?"

"Yes my child, I did. Soon I will teach you to hunt. You will be a great man."

"Dinner is set, are my two men hungry?"

"Yes mother."

"Yes my woman."

"Good, because there is plenty."

They sat down to a meal of flame charred rabbit and  also potato, carrot, and onion stew. For a drink they had a tea that Almaria brews on a regular basis.

They had a great time getting to know Calazaus, and the three went to bed for the night.