Chapter 6: The Devil's Diamond

As the darkness of the night sky gives way first to the dark Navy blue and then to the dark red and orange of approaching dawn, Devlin's small, bloody hand reaches out of the large hole. She digs her fingers into the dirt and then her other bloody hand reaches up and does the same as the first hand. Using the last of her strength, Dev pulls herself up out of the hole. She collapses on the ground, panting heavily.

She hears shuffling and then the sound of someone striking a match. The soft light of an oil lantern falls over her and a masculine voice says, "Devi? Did ye climb outta that hole all by yerself, luv?"

"Shanks..." she whimpers in pain and exhaustion.

A lantern is placed on the ground beside Dev and a pair of arms lift her slightly off of the ground then carefully turns her over onto her back. The red headed man takes a sharp intake of breath when he sees her bloody hands and feet. "Bloody hell, luv. Look at yer hands and feet....Why wouldn't ye just wait a few more hours?"

"What's going on?" Ace's sleep filled voice asks. He sits up and rubs his eyes. When Ace's eyes adjust, he sees Devlin in Shanks arms and shouts, "Dev?! You're out of the hole!" He jumps to his feet and rushes over to them, but comes to a sudden stop when he notices that her hands and feet are covered in blood. "Devlin...what happened to you? Why are you covered in blood?"

"I'm okay, Ace. I just cut my hands and feet on the rocks." The little blonde tells him before turning her attention back to Shanks. "I wanted to get out by myself in order to become stronger. If I'm not strong enough to protect myself, then how can I protect my future nakama?"

Shanks smiles at Devlin, "True strength doesn't come from what ye can do physically. It comes from when ye go through hardships and decide not ta give up. That's how ye become truly strong; by picking yerself up no matter how many times ye fall or how hard. So I believe yer well on yer way ta becoming very strong, luv." Dev looks at the red haired pirate captain in awe then hugs him tightly. He returns her embrace, frowning slightly at how cold she feels. Shanks unties his cloak from around Dev's waist before draping it over her. He then picks her up in his arms before standing up. "Now, let's get ye ta a doctor." Dev wraps her arms around Shanks' neck.

"I can carry her!" Ace says while tugging on Shanks' left pants leg.

Shanks looks down at the black haired boy who is staring up at him with a determined look on his face. "Sorry, lad, but we need ta get Devi back ta Foosha quickly and I can carry her faster than ye can." Ace's face falls in disappointment and Shanks quickly adds, "There is something important that I need ya ta do, Ace." The boy perks up a little, "I need ya ta pick up the lantern and lead the way back ta the village."

Ace nods, "Okay." He picks up the oil lantern before he starts to lead the way back to Foosha Village at a fast pace.

Dev yawns loudly and lays her head on Shanks' shoulder. "Shanks?"

"What is it, luv?"

"I've decided I'm gonna be a Red Haired Pirate when I'm older."

"Oh? And do I have a say in this? I am the captain after all."

"No," she says firmly.

"Dahahahaha!" Shanks laughs, amused by this spunky little girl.

They walk in silence for about five minutes until light snoring from Devlin breaks it. Now that Dev is asleep Ace asks Shanks, "Is Dev going to be okay?" Ace looks at the blonde girl in worry.

Shanks shifts the little girl in his arms, "It will take a lil' while for her ta regain the weight that she's lost, but she's a tough lil' lass and she'll be fine." Ace looks relieved at the news that Dev is going to be okay.