1. Dear Future Husband

2 November 1888

Dear future husband,

Greetings. I hope this letter finds you well. (My governess has informed me that this is the proper way of beginning a letter. Now, onto the more interesting and less formal matters!) My name is Rosalie Winthrop, but you may call me Rosalie, or even Rose (though not Rosie!) I know that we have not met, but my governess has invented the vilest of punishments in forcing me to compose this missive. She--that is, Miss Anne Wilson--has insisted that letter-writing is one of the "fundamental pillars of being a fine lady." Frankly, I know that she really is obliging me to do such a thing in order to improve my penmanship.

Now, where was I? I am twelve years of age, soon to be thirteen in four months on the 4th of March, and I live with my father in Grenledge Manor. My mother left us when I was very young, and I have no other relatives. My life can be fairly lonely, and I suppose that does lead me to point out the one benefit of writing these letters: perhaps I shall feel as though I have a friend or at the very least, someone to talk to who is neither hired by my father nor of familial relation to me. How very silly, is it not, to think that writing out my thoughts on a piece of paper, goose-feather-quill in hand and grey ink slowly darkening to black on the page, should be equal to some kind of companionship! Nevertheless, this shall be my decided pastime.

Currently, at Grenledge, it is snowing. When I have finished drafting this letter, Miss Wilson shall permit me to go sledding down one of the hills outside the manor, provided that one of the footmen accompanies us in the case that I injure myself. What are your hobbies? Is it snowing where you are? I should like to think of you somewhere warm and exotic, in a place far-flung from dreary and frigid England, somewhere like Jamaica or India or even the West Indies.

What useless questions! You must forgive me for asking them if you ever do read this letter, whomever and wherever you are. For my father has not even selected a suitor, let alone formed a betrothal for me, and therefore my future husband is really more of a glorified diary or journal who certainly cannot reply to my queries. I do hope that such a comparison does not offend you — you are not one of those easily offended types, are you? I should certainly hope not, for Miss Wilson is all the time informing me that my words are too brash and outside the borders of propriety. Though I am afraid I must be off! My governess has told me that the sun is nearly set and the time for sledding will soon be past.

Future husband, I have returned! My hands are half-frozen and my hair is filled with snow despite Miss Wilson's best attempts at keeping my fur-trimmed hood and mantle on my head. Sledding is perhaps really one of the best things about an English winter, right after hot cocoa, a mug of which is warming my fingers at present as I continue my letter to you. What great fun I have had! If you, my future husband, do not enjoy sledding, I fear that I may have to seek an annulment. Of course, Miss Wilson has just read over my shoulder and informed me that well-bred ladies do not ask for annulments.

Do you have a pesky governess, as well? Or perhaps a tutor? Mayhaps you have a great deal more in the way of companionship than I do, with only my father and the staff as my company. I love them all dearly, but I do long for a friend who is my age at times. Grenledge is so very far from all the other country houses in the area! Then again, I have never known anything different. Perhaps I would surely hate having other children or 'young ladies' around. I could be horribly deviating from societal norms and never know it, having no one to compare myself to! Surely I hope not. Or, even if I am... I do wish that my future husband, whoever you are, will love me in spite of it.

Love is what a marriage ought to be about. Do you agree with me? Miss Wilson says that she is in only partial agreement, and lists dull things such as money and reputations and titles as being factors in a marriage, but I disagree. Certainly one needs money to survive and a good reputation is ideal, but love is surely the most wondrous thing in all of human existence. It ought to be patient and kind and selfless... After all, there are so many books and Psalms and pieces of Scripture dedicated to it, that surely it could not be something terribly insignificant.

Speaking of spiritual matters, I have also decided that if one is going to write a letter to one's future husband without knowing who their intended is, one also ought to pray for their intended. Seeing as you may never read this letter, I feel that I can safely write out my prayer for you in the confines of ink and parchment with no one the wiser.

Dear Heavenly Father, I pray that whoever my future husband may be, You would be watching over him and giving him strength in whatever struggles he may be presently facing. I pray that You would bestow courage upon him and that no matter his difficulties, he would have comfort in Your presence. Amen.

Do you often pray, whomever you are? Are you Catholic or Protestant? My governess has just clucked my tongue and told me not to even ask such questions as we are loyal to the Anglican Church but I think that we both believe in the same Christ, do we not? The one who has died for us and rose again? I would have to ask my priest such a question according to Miss Wilson.

My father calls me to supper, and I must be dashing off now. I am,

Sincerely Yours,

Lady Rosalie Winthrop