11 - beta's mate?

Ember Harpers POV:

Waking up in a cold bed felt strange to me, as I already have gotten used to Brutus being here and warming my cold body up. It was a wonder how I have missed him only after a few short hours of sleep I had.

A strangely natural urge took over me, replaying a picture of Brutus from last night. The frankly exhausted look in his eyes as he stared down at me, begging for me to have forgiveness.

He still did me wrong

After closing my eyes for a long minute or two, I rose my heavy seeming body out of the comfortable bed and made my feet met the cold tile floor. Shiver ran through my body, which made my body crave for the red sweatshirts Brutus owned.

I just could not stop thinking about this man. About this beautiful, dangerously attractive man that trapped me into his arms one night and made me feel so many emotions. I could not tell if they were good or bad.

This could go awfully wrong...

I started walking, my bare cold feet making small patting noises as I walked out of the huge room and made my way down one of the well memorized staircases.
Still scolding myself for having a need for him, I walked inside of the kitchen where I met eyes with Christian.

His awfully effective stare on me made me huff out, knowing well the reason of his pitifully look.

"What?" I finally snapped, sitting myself up in a high kitchen stood that was placed against the also high counter.

Why were all these things so big?!

"He misses you." Christian spoke, his deep raspy voice coming to a contrast with the deadly uncomfortable silence that was surrounding us not so awhile ago.
Looking down to a polished floor, I found a way too look away from him.

Even though I would never verbalize it, I missed him too. If it was even possible to miss someone that trapped you inside of their home.

Was it?

"You miss him too, don't you?" I heard, making me snap my gaze up and avert it towards Christian who's pale lips were now curled in a stretched smirk.

Shaking my head profusely, I denied it aggressively. Feeling as well known heat made it's way up to my already pinkish cheeks, I knew that there was no way that I could deny it anymore.

I was feeling something towards this man, even though this is the first time I've ever grew any kind of liking towards a male. No wonder, since I've been kept inside of the house for the most of my life.

"And what about you? Have you found... your mate?" I asked, but only out of pure curiosity. He has not talked about that, but he is usually open about things.
His face fell and his hands slammed down onto the counter, making a loud slapping noise that made me jump up slightly.

Instantly, I knew that it was a bad question to ask. The way his head hung low and the way his fingers twitched, I knew that he was furious.
Carefully, I hopped down from the stool and started backing away from the kitchen that seemed to become the devil's playground.

"She is gone now... thankfully" he stated suddenly and calmly, his sanity seeming to come back now.
Hesitantly, I questioned;
"Gone?"

Nodding his head, he dragged his tongue over his sharp fang tooth, then making a haunting eye contact with me.
With goosebumps rising on my skin, I watched as his lips moved as he created his next sentence

"I killed her."

My jaw clapping down, I noticed as my lips started to dry out. Purely shocked, I stood frozen and leaned on the open doorframe of the modern kitchen.

Was he kidding? Christian killed someone?!

"She was the enemy of the pack, a rogue. One night, we sensed each other and when I went to see her..." he trailed off as pain filled his voice, making me step closer to him in a need of comforting him.

"And I killed her. Ember, I regret it so much... but I had to" he spoke once again before closing his eyes forcefully, wanting to stop the stinging tears.

"Go to Brutus now, Ember. He is in his office" he then dismissed me and my upcoming comforting words and walked away, God knows where.

Being left confused and scared, even nervous and excited, I made my way upstairs and decided to make my over to his office that I saw once.

I might even get lost..

After fast walking through many hallways and passing many doors, I finally found double doors that were the doors to his office.

Nervousness swirled in my stomach as I knocked on the hardwood doors...